Ply for woodstore roof

I'm putting together a woodstore, but am wondering what to use for the roof, I've been considering ply, but even the exterior stuff will need felt, it seems. Or would Flexacryl or several coats of exterior varnish be sufficient?

I had a look at corrugated PVC, but it seems a lot thinner and flimsier than I remember from use many years ago. Polycarbonate twinwall is overkill and on the expensive side for this type of use.

Basically It doesn't have to last 20 years, but I'd like it to last at least 10 before any repairs are needed.

Any other ideas for roofing?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

+1

But if you order onduline from them, make sure they don't deliver coroline as another supplier did to me.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Metal decking. Cost f*ck all for that size roof, lasts much longer than

40 years, need no structure at all, just a coupla bits of timber. Don?t need any real slope at all, just vary the depth of the timber is fine.
Reply to
KYW

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at them over the weekend.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

What I call corrugated iron, (i.e.) Corrugated galvanised metal sheet is th e cheapest and strongest alternative. I once heard a structural engineer pr opound the the corrugated iron in the old round roofed shape hay barns, was the strongest part of the structure. And wern't some of the Nissen/ Quonse t round roof huts made with corrugated steel sheets ?

Reply to
fred

+1

Used it on 3 sheds now. I buy it from a recycling place (his corrugated iron is new, but cheap and/or factory rejects: more than good enough for stores/sheds).

John

Reply to
Another John

Yes, it is certainly cheaper, but nowhere near as strong as it is lighter gauge metal. And metal decking has no fasteners though the decking, it has clip that are fastened to the rafters, the decking goes on those and is crimped after that so there are no holes thought the decking at all. And works fine at a much lower slope than corrugated galvanised metal sheet too so is much cheaper structure wise for a small roof like that.

Yes, but a small woodstore roof isnt practical like that

Reply to
KYW