uPVC French Doors - stripped screw holes

Doing a routine clean and lube on my french doors and found the bottom locking mechanism strip a little loose. Tried to tighten the screws and a couple turned without gripping.

Any ideas on how to close up the hole to give the screws another chance or am I looking and drilling some fresh holes in the locking bar?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Had this on some windows, so used some stainless steel self-tappers from TS. They were a bit bigger and 'bit' well in the same holes. IIRC, oversize screws with the 'correct' thread are availabble.

Reply to
PeterC

Use fatter screws. You may need to increase the size of the holes in the locking bar and/or the depth of the countersink slightly, if appropriate.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Bigger screws?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Thanks for the link - I also saw the cavity plugs which look good.

I have a bit of a niggle about modern screws - the root diameter is not tapered ligh and ond "No8" type screw - so you lose the wedging effect as the screw drives deeper

Reply to
DerbyBorn

*CRACK* 'Oh sht, not again.'

NT