doggie doors

I am wanting to install a doggie door to my garage so my hounds can let themselves in and out. I was cruising the net, and I seen one that will install in the wall, has double doors, and does look pretty nice, but $ 270.00 ? Crap, (excuse the pun) that is a lot of money for a nice doggie door. Anyone recomend a good double seal door? thanks in advance

Reply to
nefletch

I cant recommend a cheaper one. but I have 2, so i speak from experience.

if you want to keep hot and cold where they belong build a dog house, attach to wherever your putting it, with 2 seperate single dog doors. this creates a vestibule. thats more effective than a double seal door.

both me and my dogs love our doggie doors, and fenced in yard

Reply to
hallerb

This question is directed at the OP known as "nefletch".

I'm just curious: After the dogs go out the doggie door, where do they go next? Do you have a fenced yard to keep them on your property?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

=3D=3D Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My opinion...others may differ. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Dogs belong outside in their own home. No doggy doors needed. Dogs entering at their pleasure means that the dogs own you. My opinion...others may differ. ==

I definitely do not want my dog running in and out at will, but mine is a house dog with outside privileges when she's home. During the day she's at work with DH and outside most of the day with him. People that have dog doors swear by them though.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

You could look at it the other way dogs demanding your assistance to go in and out own you. ;-) Having only cats now, there is no question in our house.

Dogs have owners Cats have staff

Reply to
krw

Joe, if you are going to become an animal enforcement officer, you must first surrender your netnanny badge.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Do you include garages in your opinion? Just curious.

Reply to
Gloria

Yep, $270 is obscene. You can get (some) doggie doors at the box store and install them yourself.

What's the garage mde of? Is is brick veneer over fiberboard over studs and insulation over sheetrock? Or is it bare studs on the inside and a clapboard exterior? Or are you planning on putting the doggie door in either the car or human door?

Usually a doggie door is a pretty simple device. A hole, a flap and you're done.

Ideas:

  • Wooden flap with magnets at the bottom to hold it shut, like used on curio cabinets.
  • Rubber sheet flap the animals can squeeze through.
  • Plan on some locking mechanism to keep the animals wherever you want them to be.

Problems:

  • If big enough - and the dogs are friendly enough - a burglar can squeeze in.
  • Other animals can use the door (raccoons, cats, opossums, foxes, etc.), but most can't (frogs, turtles, grackles, salamanders).
Reply to
HeyBub

==

Don't know anything about dogs, but when we had outdoor cats the cat door was set up for out only. When they could come back in on their own we had no control over was "presents" they would bring in. Dead critters are fine, but "mostly dead" animals can provide far more excitement than I need in my life. All incoming cats MUST be checked for a mouth full of chipmunk!

I'm quite happy that none of my current cats are former ferals, who just MUST. GO. OUT. no matter how bad the weather. I doubt any of my dumped-at-the-shelter kitties have ever been outside. My yard misses the ferals patrolling the rodents, but I don't miss the worry about their safety.

My opinion about all pets is that if you don't want to have them in your house, why have them at all?

=3D=3D I can't imagine that the dogs will be too good for what is stored in most garages (and vice verso) but if the garage is just a shell then a doggy door wouldn't matter anyway. Go for it. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Maybe because many of them aren't happy staying indoors all the time. They're not designed for that sort of thing. You may imagine that they've been domesticated, but it ain't true.

The pets which APPEAR happy indoors are faking it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No they don't. They are good companions. Besides some people have small dogs that need to be indoors. I'd rather have a dog than the likes of you. You probably have underground dog fights.

Reply to
ktos

It might be a bit inconvenient to keep a llama in the house. They hog the tv remotes. Rural people probably have different standards. Dogs stay outside. Ditto for cats. A horse kept just for pleasure riding is a pet.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm rural, and we have coyotes. When we had outdoor cats they came in at night. I would NEVER leave anything smaller than an Irish Wolfhound out at night around here. Plus, it's too cold to leave pets outside for 4-5 months a year.

We had a barn the cats could go into. My folks let the cats take over the old chicken coop when Mom stopped raising chickens. The dogs liked to use a machine shed that was always left open. They liked it better than the official dog house.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

dogs are very loving creatures and belng indoors, espically in bad weather.

but they enjoy the outdoors too....

and with doggie door never have to be let out:)

I can go away the entire day and they are fine:) Have 6 foot chainlink fence to keep them safe:)

Reply to
hallerb

I got one from HD and I think it was less than $100, but only just - they're pretty expensive for what they are.

I think the "thick wall mounting kit" (or whatever they call it) was about another $90, so I just bought some threaded rod, washers and acorn nuts for a few bucks and lined the space "inside" the wall with some ply that I had laying around from another job. Painted it all and sealed it, and I expect it'll need a little maintenance every few years (the downside of not having the plastic-fantastic kit :-)

I'm yet to do a winter with it. I've noticed that sometimes one of the rubber doors doesn't quite close fully despite the magnets if the dog goes through by pushing the door at the side rather than the bottom, so that's going to cause some problems during cold season.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

one of my dogs likes to lay in the door holding it open in the coldest weather, which is why I recommend a double door with dog house vestibule...

she lets in so much cold air

Reply to
hallerb