Subject Author Posted Replies

How Waterproof are Fish Tank Heaters?
I am making a cylindrical nickel plating tank as I find that the bucket I usually use often isn't deep enough - currently need to plate some 27" shafts. So I've made up a 30" length of 160 mm...
26
26

New ballcock question
While tying up the plastic ballcock arm in the loft, I rather stupidly snapped it. I went out and got a brass one, which seems to be a much stronger replacement, so no big deal. However, the new one...
21
21

28W 2D fluorescent tube starter, bulb or ballast problem
My 28W 2D fluorescent bulkhead lamp began flickering for prolonged periods before starting, a few weeks (maybe months) ago. It finally stopped working altogether the other day. I took out the bulb and...
3
3

OT No 'chute jump from 18.000 feet.
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/h6bd.mp4
13
13

Whole house energy saver????
Snake oil! You can shower this channel with free energy at https://www.patreon.com/bigclive This is a perplexingly complicated device that was/is heavily marketed by salesmen as an energy saving unit...
10
10

AFCI into Wiki FAQ?
In , Search for RCD finds the page that it should, and Search for RCBOs finds the various appropriate entries. But Search for AFCI there finds nothing in the FAQ, though a Wikipedia search for AFCI...
8
8

Fixing to crappy wall
I've fit (fitted?) a banister to the mother in law's wall. 4 brackets, about 40mm round against wall, three screws in each. 3 went on OK, one is in an area where there is no solid wall. I glued some...
10
10

Wood stove recommendation
We are looking at woodburning stoves, around max 5kw would suffice. The guy who is going to fit it likes Esse and I quite like this, Cheapest I can see it for is £670 quid. I don't want to save money...
12
12

Stud Wall for Shed - Bracing and Spacing
So I'm building a timber framed and metal sheet cladded garden shed. It will be approx 6m x 3m x 2.5m, constructed from 4 x 2s and bolted down onto a concrete pad. The cladding sheets are just under a...
5
5

Anyone experience of 2 part epoxy putty
Hi all, I have recently bought a whirlpool bath on eBay and one of the plastic pipe fittings (part of the air jets) was broken. I am having difficulty sourcin g a new one and one of the spares...
15
15

Buying strip brass
Bit of an odd question, but I would like to buy some thin brass strips, but no idea how 'thin' when looking at quoted measurements. What I would like is brass strip as used on old 4.5v batteries. Firm...
7
7

OT Pension fund or property?
Property I reckon. Which? money experts explain the pros and cons of investing in property vs a pension for your retirement income. Which will give the biggest returns?
6
6

HDD died - recovery ?
Have a Western Digital 1TB internal 3.5" HDD Just stopped during use .... Drive is under warranty so should get it replaced - but they won't recover the data. I had a backup .. but a months worth is...
90
90

OT; Doh!
Just sent an email invoice to a client with the following text; "Invoice attached, bank details bottom left. Prompt transfer appreciated." Received a reply; "Many thanks. How would you like to be...
7
7

Cleaning a wall
The previous owners seem to have liked ivy covered walls. I don't, so what is the best way to remove the mess left behind: Picking it off strand by strand will be a lot of work, a scraper will...
8
8