Fixing to crappy wall

I've fit (fitted?) a banister to the mother in law's wall.

4 brackets, about 40mm round against wall, three screws in each.

3 went on OK, one is in an area where there is no solid wall. I glued some plugs in but it's not happening.

At home i'd drill big holes and glue/hammer fat dowels in and screw into that but I want to contain whatever destruction I cause behind the bracket

I can't decide what to do that would cause least disruption to the decor.

Ideas appreciated.

Reply to
R D S

What is the wall construction? (As there are several types that "are not solid")

Reply to
Tim Watts

Of course.

It's a wall that *should be* solid, brick, rest of it was nice to drill into.

Reply to
R D S

when I came to fit hanrails in my father's house (Victorian) i found the plaster could be up to 3cms thick. I had to use very long screws to get a firm fixing.

Reply to
charles

What do you reckon it is? Voids in the mortar, or those horrid hollow bricks?

In either case, resin would do if you need a monster fixing.

For normal loads, how about:

I really do rate Fischer - they have products that exceed the humble red plug in most applications and are easy to obtain (SF/TS stock a fair part of the range, Amazon for the rest).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Drill oversized hole, stuff newspaper in there, make a big dimple in it and fill with car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

oh, if its brick with a void, just inject car body filler and robert is a relative

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Enlarge the holes with screwdriver until you hit solid bricks, blow out dust, paint on dilute pva and fill. A few days later you can drill & fix soundly.

PS If you don't hit solid brick, stop when the hole reaches a foot or so wide.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Take the brackets back off and screw a length (equal to ar slightly longer than the handrail) of 150 x 38mm bevelled edged door lining to the wall with some long No10 or 12 screws as a backboard.

Finish it to your satisfaction and then screw the handrail brackest onto that.

NB. If you wish, work out where the brackets will be and put the screws holding the backboard at those points - and then screw th handrail brackets over the tops of them.

This is a far neater and stronger method of fixing handrails.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I've found that often.