OT Pension fund or property?

Property I reckon.

Reply to
harry

If you are comfortable making your own investments, a self-invested personal pension (SIPP)

You can include commercial property in a SIPP.

Reply to
Nightjar

Lots and lots and lots of children.

Hopefully one of them will grow up to be a loyal and benevolent millionaire.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's assuming they grow up to like you (& vice versa), they aren't expensive to run, and you don't have (m)any SKI holidays....

Reply to
Allan

best-investment-451862/? utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Prospects_MoneyCompare

The OP perhaps should have specified commercial or domestic property?

We decided to invest in domestic property mainly because (apart from dips now and then) it always seemed to go up.

You also get to live in your investment (which you can't really do with stocks/shares/bonds/cash or (usually) commercial property.

The best choice depends very much on the starting point; for example

From 10 years ago property is an easy winner. 15 years, still a winner but closer. 20 years ago (or 5) and the stock market comes out ahead. Although the figures only go up to 2010 so are well out of date.

Best advice? Buy cheap and sell dear. ;-)

Put another way, if you can plan to buy during a slump then you will see a massive return versus the standard graphs. I saw that with a pension plan running from 2005 to 2009; I realised afterwards that I was buying investments as the stock market slumped and stopped about when the market bottomed out. The gains were unusual just because I was investing through

2008 and 2009. Buying housing then would also have been a very good investment (although not many people were selling).

Mostly, though, with any investment strategy the usual Irish advice applies; "If I was going there I wouldn't start from here".

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Lookup Schedule A income tax for an indication of what a future labour government has in store.

Only if it is a 'full' SIPP, and these are in the minority and tend to have much higher annual charges.

Reply to
Andrew

Mine isn't a full SIPP and it includes commercial property.

Reply to
Nightjar