HDD died - recovery ?

Have a Western Digital 1TB internal 3.5" HDD Just stopped during use .... Drive is under warranty so should get it replaced - but they won't recover the data. I had a backup .. but a months worth is missing .... (should backup more than once a month I know)
On windows PC it is no longer seen, a friend connected it to a MAC and it could be seen & scanned .. but he was unable to recover any files.
Anybody know of anyone that does data recovery as a sideline ?
Professional companies charge hundreds to do this.
In case someone suggests it - I have tried the freezer trick.
On 05/09/16 22:08, rick wrote:

Have you tried a live linux CD?
Mount the drive and copy it to another?
--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”
On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 22:37:26 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had a HDD fail big time. Basically it just stopped being recognised at all.
No amount of trying to mount on a linux system would work - whatever was ****ed prevented the system even seeing an event on startup.
It was one half of a raid array, so no harm done ...
On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 10:09:23 -0000 (UTC)

I had that with a Seagate external HDD that I used for TV programme Backup. It fell, and landed on my foot, didn't even crash to the floor, but it was enough to totally destroy any communication. There's just nothing there. It spins, but that's it. Luckily, I had Backup backup. There is a label that says something about not exceeding 3,000 G or whatever, it must have been more like 3 G, but it killed it.
--
Davey.

If it fell on your foot from say a height of 4 ft, then when it hits your foot it's already going at 16 feet per sec. Assume it then has to stop within 1/2 inch, that gives:
0 = 16**2 + (2 x a x 1/24)
with a being the acceleration in feet per sec per sec. That gives:
a = -3072 or 3072/32 G = 96 G
What are those jobs rated at?
--
Lady Astor: "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." Churchill: "If
you were my wife, I'd drink it."

In this case, it was about 2 feet, at most, so travelling at somewhat less than 16 fps.
The acceleration limit is written inside the case, on the drive itself, and I'm not going to go in there again right now. But I see 350 G quoted in an online discussion about this. http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/188673/what-would-put-a-harddisk-drive-hdd-under-350gs-of-force
This: (Amazon.com product link shortened) offers 1,000 Gs of non-operating shock, but it is a high-tolerance design.
Whatever it is, when this happened, it did not appear as a force that would have been likely to have caused internal damage, and it was not powered at the time. It is not as though it fell corner-first onto concrete, it fell gently from my hand and landed on my foot, there was no sound (apart from my swearing at having dropped it). If it had been a coffee cup, it would not have shown any damage, it would have just spilled the contents.
--
Davey.

Yes, about 11, giving 48G. Actually, TBH, I'm surprised you were unharmed. I had a stage weight land on my foot once, broke some toes. OK - that's a lot heavier but it started at ground level and toppled over. That was enough.
--
"Please stop telling us what you feel. Please stop telling us what your
intuition is. Your intuitive feelings are of no interest whatsoever,

It'd be worth opening it, it might be something as simple as the data cable coming off the connector on the drive itself.
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 15:09:20 +1000

I did that when it happened, and I didn't see anything obvious. But I still have it, so one day I might give it another go. I've nothing to lose. It might even be worth just jiggling any connectors I see.
Interestingly, I replaced it with a Samsung HDD, which turned out to also be a Seagate unit. I take more care when handling it now, knowing how sensitive they are.
--
Davey.

Yeah, Seagate bought the Samsung HDD operation quite a while ago now.

On 07/09/2016 06:09, Rod Speed wrote:

Problem is it is under warranty ... if I open it ... WD won't swap it out when I send it back.
On 06/09/16 11:09, Jethro_uk wrote:

If you really care about data, you have to have a plan to deal with 100% irrevocable sudden loss of a disk.
My important data lives on many disks. They are not raided, because I back up several machines onto one of the disks.
Three years ago that disk died. The backup oddly enough.
I bought a new one, stuck it in, and 24 hours later it was full up with backups, and my ISP was warning me about overuse of my connection...
Then I bought a bigger main disk, stuck a new OS on that and restored from backup onto it. an afternoons work and I was back in business.
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Doing all your backups in The Cloud will be the way to go .........BT gives free space (not enough for me), Amazon gives unlimited space for £55 a year I'm sure it will all become cheaper with competition.
On 06/09/16 12:52, rick wrote:

so that when the cloud crashes all your data is completely lost, and when the cloud gets hacked, all your details are now globally available to any criminal who is prepared top pay for them.
.........BT

FFS you can have a complete VPS for 55 quid a year.
A second drive costs about 55 quid and lasts 5 years.

All very true, but many people use cloud based email. Gmail, and the like. I guess that you don't?
On 06/09/16 13:20, GB wrote:

Nope. I have a cloud, but its MY cloud.
Cost me a £120 a year roughly.
Alone, I am not a sufficiently interesting target, and I dont store any private data on it.
That's all here split across several disk drives.
AND I run my own spam blacklists...I reject about 80 spammails a day. For half a dozen that get through into my spam mailbox, and about one a say that shows up in my inbox.
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a

I can't tell whether you are just being sensibly careful or completely paranoid? :)
On 06/09/16 14:07, GB wrote:

TBH neither can I. the spams aren't a risk, they are simply a nuisance.
Unfortunately I have an email address that's been on the 'net since the early 1990s, and am a prolific correspondent as well as having various online accounts with various things that appear to have been hacked for emails at some point.
And as for marketing. I dont think there is a single time I have been asked for my email address online that hasn't resulted in a deluge of vaguely related spam.
But I have the main spam engines on my blascklist now. It runs to over 300 lines
About 50/50 split between well known and perfecly legal spam generators, and spam bots which are blocked by IP address with spamhaus.
A sprinkling of guesses@mydomains and a few desperate attempts to use me as a relay complete the score.
I used to run a small ISP. I dont trust anyone else to do it better.,

It's Turnip. Paranoid far too easy a diagnosis.
And no idea how he gets 80 spam emails a day. I take no precautions, and don't even get one a day.
--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

A lot of ISPs filter the stuff out. There are around 30 spams in my gmail account spam box, just for today. Gmail sorts them automatically. Hopefully, nothing I need.