Failing USB HDD question

I have grown to fear Linux Kernel upgrades, as the reboot required rarely goes smoothly ... I can work around the various software issues, but something seems to hammer my USB drives.

So yesterday, the reboot appeared to knock over a 4TB Seagate expansion drive bought 7/9/2017 and which has racked up:

17 powerups 16414 hours use

Now starting to flake with :

ID Cur Wor Thr RawValues(6) Attribute Name

05 _99 _99 _10 000000000E50 Reallocated Sectors Count C5 _99 _99 __0 0000000001B0 Current Pending Sector Count C6 _99 _99 __0 0000000001B0 Uncorrectable Sector Count

Is it just me, or with that sort of relatively low power cycling and steady use is a little bit more resilience expected ?

Debating whether to hassle Seagate over it, or just note that Seagate drives are pretty poor, since this drive is a direct replacement for one which failed after 13 months.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well having entered the drive details into Seagates online tool, it seems they agree with me and the drive *is* under warranty (until Oct 2019) and they've accepted a warranty exchange.

Still poor show though ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well I have had Seagates last longer, but I've had a Samsung ssd fail in about 5 years. I tend toward Western digital, at least my windows pc has one in its usb outboard back up, though the first one supplied did not work at all! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One thing I have found with usb though is their bad connections. Often I find weird crashes on the computer and if I pull all usbs out, squirt cleaner in the plugs and work them in and out again a lot of the problems disappear. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Spoke too soon.

*Another* USB-HDD (Seagate) has now failed ...
Reply to
Jethro_uk

My loft is 46 centigrade today and the small bedroom (facing north) which is my 'office', is 28 centigrade at the moment.

Is this a heat problem ?.

Reply to
Andrew

A lot more given when you bought it.

Which particular models ? Since Seagate has taken over so many hard drive operations, it can make a difference to how reliable the drives are. My last two 8TB drives have been seagates and have lasted much longer than that.

Show us the full SMART stats, that will show whats been happening temperature of the drives wise and that may be the problem.

Reply to
Swer

I guess it could be ?

It survived last years 5-week heatwave without issue, but of course that may have eaten into it's lifespan ... hence today :(

Not a great problem - I have 5TB squirreled away in as good a cloud backup as you can get. Just ****ing annoying.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What OS? I've been running Mint for about three years (now on 19.1) and the kernel upgrades seem to be coming thick and fast, and even more frequently recently. Can't say I've ever had a problem at boot after an upgrade. I always have a Timeshift backup standing by, just in case.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

if it's plastic cased 3.5", running it for long can overheat & damage it. BTDT.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Me neither.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They have decided to fix some of the security bugs then.

Reply to
dennis

Debian 9

had been up 16 days since last reboot ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Only my personal experience, but I avoid Seagate these days, as I have had too many failures over the years. My current preference is for Toshibas - which so far are doing well.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Noted.

Having powered off because of the thunderstorm last night - on powerup it seems *another* drive may have failed. 3 in 2 days isn't bad.

Might be a false alarm though - the drive is spinning and showing as OK, but the RAID array it is now the only part of refuses to assemble ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Weird - my kernel updates usually go without a hitch, I wouldn't expect anything less. I only have the one Toshiba USB drive, that's pretty much permanently connected and just works.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Well tip of hat to Seagate. New drive is already queued for shipping. It was posted (2nd class) Tuesday PM.

Reply to
Jethro_uk