hdd and energy use question

Hi Is there a formula, graph or rule of thumb to estimate the extra energy requires to heat a house with an increase in hdd?...ie if it takes 1 mil BTU's to heat my house during a month with 500 hdd's and the next month has 750 hdd i am sure that it takes more than a 50% increase in btu's to maintain temps but I can't seem to find any info.

Thanks in advance Rob

Reply to
lemur

You haven't looked in the right places. it took all of .005 seconds to come up with the formulas on yahoo search. Maybe you should ask your professor.

Reply to
Steve

Thats why Im looking here

YOU must be busier than I if you didnt have time to cut and past link

....any "hdd" in search gives mostly hard drive disk in results....probably a proper terminology thingy which should indicate I am not in the HVAC feild sooooooo....

is not an option as I havent been to school i well over 20 yrs...Thats why Im looking here...

What is industry standard for energy....here in Canada I have a report that uses Mill BTU's but also see MegaJules, KWh, calories etc?....What is term for the increasing rate of btu's required for increasing HDD....Thats why Im looking here..

Rob

Reply to
lemur

I have been charting therms of natural gas used per hdd and can tell you from my experience, that the results vary widely and I haven't been able to nail down a pattern.

I believe this is due to the fact that hdds are based on the difference from

65* of the average temperature on a given day, and not actual temperatures experienced. If you use a program such as HVAC-Calc, you can show the heat loss for your house at design temperature and can add or subtract degrees from design and see the effect of colder temps on BTUs of heat loss.

If you plan to continue using hdds, try to break out the non-heating use of gas (cooking, hot water) by checking your gas bills during the 'off ' season. This will give you more accurate information.

HankG

P.S., I would like to see that formula when you get it.

Reply to
HankG

Hey Hank Already have space heating seperated from total energy and since Im electric heated I dont have to worry about effiency of heater....Dont have access to hvac calc....will pass on what I find elswhere but hoping Ill find answer here.

rob

Reply to
lemur