Odd HDD prices?

Any idea why the pricing of these drives is so odd?

dennis

company I'd choose to deal with.

NT

Reply to
NT

Also, there's a massive world shortage, due to the floods in Taiwan.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've bought PC components from ebuyer and never had any problems.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

I know, the 500 Gig one was about £95 a few weeks ago, its now about £180.

The 750 Gig one is £135, which is about what you would have expected had the

500 Gig one not shot up.
Reply to
dennis

Actually I have found ebuyer to be pretty good... Been using them since

2004 and must have ordered many many tens of £K through them by now, and have very rarely had any problems.
Reply to
John Rumm

has 8GB of SSD

that has 4GB - its the SSD size driving the price in this case.

note prices of 2.5" mechanisms ought not be as badly affected by WD's problems, since that impacted their 3.5" drive production capacity.

(although the Toshiba factory that makes 80% of the worlds head sliders is also underwater!)

Reply to
John Rumm

> That has 8GB of SAD

But it's the cheaper one that has 8 gig, that one only has 4 Gig.

> And that has 4GB - its the SSD size driving the price in this case. That's the 8 Gig one.

Maybe SSDs will be cheaper as there is likely to be a jump in the number being made and sold now they are closer to the price of spinning disks?

Reply to
dennis

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Reply to
geoff

:

Ditto. Excellent customer service too (I've had the odd postal breakage= ) - not a single item has been faulty though.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Don't walk through turnstile sideways then.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Yup, sorry my mistake... in which case - yup odd pricing.

Still there is lots of daft pricing about. I can buy external 1TB drives for £20 - £30 less than internals at the mo.

Well they have gradually been coming down and the capacity going up for a while. However they never seem to close the gap on spinning disks in terms of £/gig.

They are however at a price that makes them quite handy now. A 64GB drive is a very effective performance upgrade for many machines, its large enough to carry the OS and all the apps in most cases, even if you keep the data on traditional disks.

Reply to
John Rumm

Some are ex Thailand flood damage stock? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

company I'd choose to deal with.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

3TB, 7200 rpm Seagate externals were under 100 quid at the start of November if you knew where to buy them from - not the usual 'trade' suppliers who had anticipated shortages and had already started hiking prices and restricting supply. Stripped of their case they are 'identical' to what now costs around 240 quid.

There are reports of a team of employees buying well over 1000 drives in a few short hours at one chain of retail outlets across the country. A day or so later the retail chain caught up with the crisis and prices jumped 60%, which was a moot point as supplies were now near zero.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Reply to
Doctor Drivel