New roof pricing - any guides? Links?

Anyone know of any sources where to look for general pricing of new roofs for various types of roofing and various size homes?

I got an estimate which was higher than I imagined yet it might be in line. I'd like to get a general idea what the range of roof costs would be.

I don't need anything too specific; just to get a "feel" for what quality work is going for.

Reply to
StarMan

Star,

Get a few more estimates. Pricing really depends on the area. With the current market for new homes I'd think that contractors would be willing to deal.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

do a complete tear off, inspect deck repair as needed, new flashing drip edge etc, rubber membrame on at least any vulnerable or ice dam areas.

just disposal of old roof materials now costs a fortune....

Reply to
hallerb

You can do it yourself for one tenth the cost.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Hmmmm.....I do not know of any source for getting you some pricing, posted on the Internet........but ingeneral a quote is devided by threes...not 10's like the fool who said you could do it yourself for

1/10th the cost....he must think YOUR labor is worth nothing...and the materials are only 1/10 of the bid...LOL I WISH we could get that kind of mark-up! The 30 year shingles are running about 55 per square....felt is 4 per square....two boxes of nails is 60...then you have any metal work...valley,step,counters,chimneys...do you need iceguard?? Is it a tearoff?? What is the material going into...can your driveway handle the weight? In general you can take the lenght of your house times the width times 1.04 to get the GENERAL squares of the roof...multiply that by 300.....that should get you into the range of the roofs cost value to a contractor....but I stress that it is a GENRAL way of getting the range........if you want to email me a pic of your home...i could get you a better idea of the jobs value.....

Good Luck form Roof TIME LLC/ Cincinnati

Reply to
Roof Time LLC

I got a new roof last June. The papers say it was 30 squares. The cost of installation on the GAF warranty shows $6800. We actually paid $8890 ... in addition to the roof we had them renail the plywood and reinforce the gable ends and install a secondary water barrier. We are in Florida and wanted to bring the house up to code so we could get a better price on home owners insurance. The price also included removing old roof and hauling it away. We actually got three estimates. The other two were for roofing alone - they didn't do the other type repairs. They gave a higher estimate for the same roofing (GAF) 50 year Timberline Ultra.

Reply to
Dottie