Subject Author Posted Replies

Skim coat won't adhere!!
Never seen this in 40+ years! Technique even works in other areas. Over Dunn Edwards paint on interior surface, skim coat using Home Depot premixed ?? in 1 gal container. this time about 1/16 inch...
4
4

Compacting and preparing base for pavestone deck
I'm looking at using either Pavestones or concrete squares (12 x 12 x 1 1) for a 15 x 15 foot deck on the side of my house. I live in North Texas and we have some funky soils here as far as the soil...
3
3

OT - Gas Prices. Now I have to carry cash.
I've been going for years without carrying too much cash, mostly relying on my debit card. $20 - $25 was enough for the occasional low cost purchase or to order subs at work, things like that. Now,...
80
80

Will Apple sue God next?
looks like Apple is feeling bullish after its recent patent win over Samsung. Polish news site Telepolis reports that the Cupertino-based tech company has set its lawsuit-happy sights on another...
4
4

How to 'extend' radiator pipes after tiling bathroom
We have hot water radiant heat in our house. After having our bathroom re-= tiled, the radiator now sits 3/8" higher than previously so the two pipes c= oming out of the floor are 3/8" too short. I...
11
11

Welding service advertisement
Video
3
3

OT: Lawn equipment
My parents attend and now starting to care for a local Unity church within my neighborhood. They have very few volunteers to help around the grounds, perhaps in part due to lack of lawn equipment. I...
11
11

How long for firewood to dry?
A week? A year? Two years? Six months per inch? Any advice would be appreciated. Background: My city, in its infinite wisdom, cut down, so far, about twenty-five 75-year old live oak trees growing in...
24
24

Home Depot closing remaining stores in China
"[BEIJING] Home Depot Inc., the U.S.-based home improvement retailer, said Friday it will close its remaining seven big box outlets in China and focus on Internet-based sales and specialty stores."...
9
9

Drill press rips out student's hair
Didn't hafta be, but mighta been. Not every person is born with an inate knowledge of safety around machines. Humans have been at odds with machines since the first stone hammer hit the first caveman...
7
7

metal roofing 5v or 2.5" corrugated?
Utility galvanized metal roofing for barns, sheds, etc. The 5v runs $15 per 8' sheet whereas the 2.5" corrugated runs about $10. What are the pros & cons for each type and is it worth the price...
2
2

Durable Finish For Wooden Doors In The Tropics
Hi, Can someone suggest a durable finish for wooden doors in a tropical environment? The doors of our house in Costa Rica cannot keep a finish for more than few months. The original owner said they...
7
7

Heat Pump in Cold Climate?
I keep seeing homes for sale with heat pumps. It's been a while, but I have seen -25F in winter, so I am puzzled why folks use heat pumps here. Had a h.p. in Florida, and when the temp got down to the...
25
25

Recycling, tree pruning, etc. lead to UN dominance...
...at least according to the Boston Globe. "Do trash receptacles and sidewalks have an ideology? How about zoning overlays, watershed development, and tree pruning? These are the kinds of issues that...
3
3

Weight Limit on Toilets
With people getting fatter and fatter in the 21st Century, one has to consider the weight limit for toilets. I have never seen any toilet listing it's weight capacity. I'd guess that all toilets are...
5
5