Subject Author Posted Replies

Square bathroom light fixture
How do I get this open? I've tried pinching, twisting and pulling. I don't want to break it... does anyone know a technique? There's a small notch under the sticker. Tried prying it open using a...
3
3

What does "eight inch minus rock" mean?
I called the local power company to ask them to fix an access road washout at a swale and they did fix the drainage ditches, saying it took them a long time and that they had to use "8 inch minus...
6
6

problems with sewer line
Hi All, Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor. Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the...
6
6

Exploding Toilet Recall and Lawsuit
. Saw this on the news last night. I already installed one of the repair kits in my wife's mother's house. It was a bit of a pain to work the flexible metal band past obstructions in the toilet tank...

Paint problem in bathroom
Hi, We just had our upstairs bathroom completely redone. It looked beautiful -= for a while. 7 months later and we've got a problem with the paint - ughh= ! Now our beautiful beige paint has dark...
10
10

old lintel, masonry: what's it made of?
We think our house was built in the 1920's. The walls are solid (not cored) cement block. Replacing a cellar window, I got looking at the lintel over the opening. The surface is cementitious, but...
6
6

Slow icemaker?
The icemaker in our GE refrigerator (GSH25JFXBWW) makes ice but it does so very slowly. There are only two of us who use ice. For the last three days, I was the only one using ice and the icemaker did...
18
18

OT OT What is the D?
OT, this is way off topic, I think, except it takes place in the home. But I've googled till the cows come home and I don't know who else to ask. And image googled too. There used to be on cartons of...
15
15

Bargain on Rockwell SoniCrafter
Today only. For those who can't abide the HF Multifunction Miracle Tool, here's a 100-piece variable-speed tool for only $131.99. 'Course the HF tool is only $17.98...
8
8

OT - Electric Shocks From Shopping Carts
I was shopping at BJ's last night and was pushing one of their big red shopping carts around the store. The carts are metal, with a plastic semi-circle attached to the top of the handle, leaving the...
26
26

Vinyl Siding Brand Preferences
The contractor has suggested three brands for roughly the same price. Is anyone familiar with the following brands, and like or dislike them? All are 0.044" thickness. Thanks! Ovation American Herald...

home alternatives
Home is place where we can spend our time happliy with peace of mind.

Anchoring a handrail
Lived in this house 35 years. Now wife needs a handrail to get up/down front steps. Planning on going with metal railing, 36" high.. Posts are 2x2 with a square bottom flange with four holes for...
15
15

Grout scrubbers?
My kitchen and bathroom counters are covered with beautiful 4" ceramic tiles and 1/2 " grout lines. They have lasted for 30 years without a chip or blemish. The problem is with the grout. Originally...
19
19

Roofing prices in central New Jersey, Monmouth County
I thought you'd be interested in prices to remove two roofs and install a new one on a ranch house located just outside Freehold, NJ. Total price was $8,900 for a 3100 sq ft roof (based on actual...
1
1