All metal surfaces/all of the metal parts of the stov should be
grounded thru the safety ground on the 3 or 4 wire plug. THat should
include the coils that do the actual heating. If you only get ashock
when you are touching something that touches the metal coils, turn off
all of the heating controls and see if you still get a shock, IF you
don't yuou have a leakage somehow in one of the coils and a
potentially serious condition and should call an experienced
electrician to check things out,
Do you have a voltmeter that you know how to use???
There was an old man, who lived in a village. The old man was angry much of
time and yelled at the people around him. He would holler at the mailman,
the milkman, and the butcher who ran the shop on main street. The angry,
bitter old man used to correspond with another man, who lived miles away.
The other man made a mistake, and offended the first man. The first man
ranted and raged, stormed, yelled, and refused to stop yelling. The man who
made the mistake apologized, sincerely, and tried to obtain forgiveness.
But, the first man would not forgive.
The second man sadly had to use a "mail filter". Instead of reading the
angry man's raging, he with great sadness discarded the first man's angry
letters, as they arrived. And, many did arrive.
A few months later, the first man had some troubles in his home. He was
still writing angry letters, and still kicking against anyone who disagreed.
The second man overheard from friends, that the first man was having trouble
with his electric range. He was sad, that anyone would have home repair
troubles. The second man knew just exactly what the problem was, and had
fixed a similar range, not long ago. The second man sadly realized, that any
contact with the first man would result in more angry outbursts, and would
not be read and taken seriously.
So, the angry old man continued to yell at the world, and the people who
could have helped stayed far away and threw his angry letters into the
trash. One final string of bad luck happened, the angry man's relatives all
left, his dog died. Angrily, he cursed G-d and died the horrible death that
could have been afforded to Job, of the Old Testament. As you treat others,
so the world shall treat you. That should come as no shock.
The world became more sad a place, due to the yelling.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
I should have mentioned this range is in my son's house. As for myself, I
hold an amateur radio operator's license, a 1st Class Radiotelephone ticket
and, once upon a time, a 2nd class Radiotelegraphers license.
So, of course I know how to use a voltmeter, except for those new-fangled
How old is the unit?
If the unit is old, my guess is you've got a pinched wire or a wire
with worn or soiled insulation...any one of these conditions could be
providing an electrical path.
If the stove is type where the burners easily pull out of their
"sockets" ...pull all but the "shocking" one out.
Replace it with another & switch locations of the single burner as
Us isolation & process of elimination to localize the problem.
Either use a voltmeter or continue to use the spoon / porridge combo
to verify leak.
Could be many different problems and could even be an appliance other
than the range. Could be the wiring in the walls going to the range and
one loose wire.
First do you have a 3 prong or 4 prong plug for the range which plugs
into the wall?
Then with all burners and the oven off, do you still get shocked?
If yes, then try turning off the breaker to the range. Do you still get
If you still get shocked with the breaker off to the range, then the
problem is from elsewhere. (All "grounds" from everything in a house
connect together at the main electric panel.)
The main electric panel should be properly grounded. You should not get
shocked with a properly grounded main electric panel and a modern 4
prong range plug.
Is the wiring from the main electric panel to the range aluminum wiring?
If yes, was anti-oxidant goop applied to the wires at the time of
installation? Were the electrical connections for the wires at the
breaker and range outlet torqued to the respective manufacturer's
specification of tightness with an inch pound screwdriver?
If 4 prong, one of them should be a ground.
If 3 prong, the neutral is also used as the ground. That requires a
jumper from the neutral connection at the range to the range frame.
Possible the jumper was not installed and the range is not grounded at
all. (This way of connecting was common and is still allowed by the NEC
where it already exists.)
I never had an electric range and haven't worked on them much. My
recollection is the burners plug in and don't have a connection for
ground at the burner plug. The heating element has a metal jacket that
could be energized by a short or 'leak'. Far as I know the jacket is
only connected to the frame by the 'legs' that support the burner - not
a particularly good connection. Could be you just need a new burner
element, but there other possibilities.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.