Removing Metal Strip in Door Cill

I'm fitting a new allimim/UPVC back door which is the size of existing internal door frame but I have to remove the metal upstand strip in the existing wooden cill ..... not sure what the correct name is for this I can't see how this is fixed into cill or the depth etc. and could do with some advice how to remove it to make way for new door frame. Is it a hacksaw or chisel job ? Any help would be most appreciated Cheers.

Reply to
andy

A rectangle of thin sheet metal. Mine's an old flat steel cabinet scraper. A set of mole grips and a taper bladed lever (old screwdriver). Lay the steel sheet alongside the metal strip. Grip the unwanted metal strip with the mole grips. lever between the square section of the mole grips jaws and the sheet metal. Move along the length of the strip easing it out a bit at a time. Expect to have to repair a little damage. Minimise this by checking if any of the surrounding timber starts to lift and if it does, tap it back with a block and hammer as you go.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Grab it and pull it out. It will take quite some pulling, and probably a bit of wiggling.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks for your replies... I sorted it by chipping out a line along metal strip using a large screwdriver as a chisel etc. then getting a large cold chisel underneath to lossen & lift strip up . I had to hacksaw off ends that went into wooden sub frame and in middle of metal strip to bend it + lift up . Managed it surprisingly without too much collateral damage !

Cheers

Reply to
andy