Subject Author Posted Replies

Diabolical particle board
Awl -- So my local corner church ( who for the longest time donated its very nice stone wall to the asses of the local Drug Dealers and other non-taxpaying self-employed) has regular tag sales, and...
7
7

Dimmable Fluorescents
Hi, The standard Lutron dimmable switch will not work well with fluorescents. Lutron makes a special switch (model number DVFTU-5A3P) that works with dimmable fluorescents. I went through a month or...

How do you cut cement board (hardy board)
How do you cut cement board (hardy board) thanks
11
11

Electrical Outlets
Not being an electrician, I often find it difficult dressing wires to electrical outlets in boxes. In particular, it is hard to get two #14 or #12 around the same outlet screw reliably. Recently I...
14
14

Thermostat for new heating system
Hi, I'm getting a new heating system installed (York 98% efficient furnace with modulating gas vale and ECM motor). I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with: a) How does a modulating...
12
12

Attic insulation question
I am finishing a 3rd floor walk-up attic/room. I installed Durovent between the rafters for ventilation and then insulated between the rafters. I built a 3-foot high knee wall that closes off the...
13
13

Finish Carpentry Tool Questions
I am finishing up a remodel and need to mount some 4 1/4 inch baseboard. I am going through 5/8" drywall and the guy at home depot told me to get a 18 guage 11/4 inch brad nailer which I did. After...
6
6

Lamp sockets that don't suck
Anyone know of a good source for lamp sockets that don't turn to crap in two years? Just replaced the 3-way bulb in a typical Lowe's made-in-China lamp and found that the switch was bad, not the bulb.
14
14

GFCI outlets
Do they make ground fault receptacles rated for CO/ALR? I've been looking but can't find any locally. Hubbell & Cooper's web sites don't list any, unless I overlooked them. I don't think I have room...
2
2

What type of wire for 50A overhead service from house to garage?
What type of wire should I use to make a 50 foot over head run from the house to the garage? This will be a 50A 240V circuit from the main house panel. Right now we have separate service from the...
9
9

standard window rough opening sizes
I need to replace two windows in the early Spring. I have measured the approximate rough opening size for the replacements, and I think the windows are a "standard" size, but need some way to find out...
17
17

Vacuum Cleaner Recommendation?
Hi, To those of you who helped me diagnose my vacuum cleaner problem, of previous posting, thankyou. But I have decided it's time for a new vac. My Eureka Boss vacuum has finally worn out after about...
38
38

how wide was...
old expanded metal lath for plaster? I ASSumed that my house had gypsum lath, but after (finally) fixing the ceiling in my kitchen I now realize that most of the house is metal lath and the gypsum...
9
9

Ice maker .......soft ice
I have been going to the hospital for IV treatments. The ice they have is very soft. Is there a way to convert the frezer ice maker to one of these or just add a stand alone 15A plug in ice maker to...
19
19

Taking apart a Mini-Maglite
I just found the 3AA MiniMaglite that I thought I left in a motel room over a year ago. (it was under the car seat) Two of the batteries leaked -- the ones closest to the lamp. The corrosion doesn't...
48
48