Subject Author Posted Replies

Maytag washing machine
Purchased/installed in 1984, dedicated copper hot/cold lines, spigots (which are left full open). Set it to hot/cold and start it, it always yielded a nice strong stream of water to fill the bucket....
4
4

Insulation contractor screwed up my floor. What now?
Insulation contractor screwed up my floor. What now? I'm not exactly sure the proper terms to use, so I'll describe. House was built in 1972. The subfloor is 1-1/2" thick tongue and groove. ON top of...
6
6

Old PC router
I have a old PC router that hasnt been used since 85, im sure the bearings are dry, should I attempt to grease or lube them in any way before using it, im worried the top bearing would throw out...
43
43

OT-Norton Adware/Malware
I remember when Norton was considered top of line security software. I turned the machine on this morning and I had a new Norton security icon on the desktop. I go to the start menu and uninstall the...
65
65

Smoke alarm or stink alarm
I have a house wired smoke alarm. I noticed that a burned English muffin will set it off even though there is no smoke that I can see. On the other hand if I leave my wood stove door open too long and...
3
3

Replace Furnace and Get Tax Credit
I see that the Feds will give us up to $1,500 if we replace our old furnaces with a high-efficiency furnace. I've lived in my house for 20 years, and when I bought, the furnace was a "few" years old....
6
6

Whats the best thing to do with a box of nipples?
I got a box of nipples from a hardware store that was going out of business. They range from half inch to three inch. What should I do with them?
16
16

568A or B?
I'm running an Ethernet cable in the walls from the wireless router to the church office. (everything else is wireless, but one computer needs a wired connection.) I'll be terminating the cable with...
26
26

Before you get too excited about Energy Star--
The GAO found some holes in the program. And got a rating for a 1foot tall, gasoline operated, alarm clock- among others; American consumers, businesses, and federal agencies rely on the Energy Star...
2
2

Exterior Door is 3" too short -- solution?
Hi, I want to replace my existing exterior entrance door. I have the possibility of getting a used door, 35 1/2" x 79", but the existing door is 35 1/2" x 82"! Will I be able to fit this replacement...
16
16

Hinge squeak lube advice
At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a bit, make some kind of noise while the door is closing. I tried opening and closing the...
38
38

Pet stains on wood floors
5/8" red oak, stained with dog pee. Oxacylic acid? Bleach? Can I stain with spots and blend it in, or will it make the dog pee just that much darker? Sanding sealer? Never used it. Sounds like a good...
11
11

Verizon FIOS = HELL!
I usually don't vent on NGs about bad service; most of what we get these days IS "bad service". But I'm disgusted enough to go public on Verizon FIOS. They offered a package of TV, Internet and...
24
24

Where are the CO Detector Police?
All over the radio lately, there have been commercials, sponsored by Kidde, manufacturer of smoke and CO detectors trying to use scare tactics to get you to buy new CO detectors. "CO detectors are now...
17
17

OT - Please stop feeding the geese
Some motherless rat is putting out piles of bird food for the flock of geese (probably Canadian, dark in color) that inhabit the small lake near my office this time of year. Walking from the parking...
14
14