Aluminum wiring spray

Sometimes, I work on panel boxes with big aluminum wires coming in. I can get Noalox. Or, Ox-Gard, which is grey paste that retards corrosion.

Is something available in a spray can, so I can apply it to live wires from a comfortable distance?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Won't say there isn't, but not aware of it. Ask local electrical distributor would be my suggestion for locating it if there is.

I have to question the point though--it'll only help if it's _in_ the connection and if you're only going to spray it on the top it'll make no difference whatever on the points at which it would matter. On the outside of the wire and connection it's immaterial.

Reply to
dpb

*Unless you see evidence of corrosion or arcing, the only maintenance that needs to be done is torque the connections to make sure that they are tight.
Reply to
John Grabowski

what corrosion?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

What sort of panel boxes ? Are they for wiring which connects to some sort of HVAC equipment ?

If you are an electrician then go nuts and do whatever you think you need to do... If you are not licensed as an electrician DO NOT TOUCH any wiring that is not feeding a piece of equipment you are qualified to repair... You should not even be touching the wiring, only looking at it and tracing it to see where the fault is upstream so that an electrician can repair the fault/defect and you can put the equipment back in service after that has been done... You can warn some responsible party that you have seen something inside the panel that needs to be addressed by an electrician but if it is not something which is powering some equipment you are working on then leave it alone...

Why take on the liability of having been "the last person to touch/ work on/breathe too hard on/in/near it" if you see something that looks abnormal tell someone who is responsible for that panel... You are not there to fix every aspect of everything you find wrong, only those things which are covered by your trade license and the work order/service request that resulted in you being there...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Best advice I've heard in ages. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not a problem...

I have worked in Facilities Management for a while and have seen really nice, honest technicians burned on this issue because they went beyond the scope of their trade license and "fixed" something additional for a customer on a service call...

My company had an electrician on staff at the complex so issues that would come up like the one you described could be looked at and a triage conducted within about 30 minutes if it was something that looked seriously wrong...

Better to say something if you see something than act out of a misguided "I am going to provide this customer additional service" sort of thing and do any work beyond what you are licensed for...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Evan wrote: ...

Amen...

That'll get you escorted off site at any power facility, never to return...

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb posted for all of us...

I have Stormin Moron blocked because if you ever examine his posts you would understand why...

The only "qualifications" he has: Pinto Wagon hoarding with busted door jambs, useless lock sets, questionable invoices to blind/drunk senior citizens and used A/C parts.

This has all been admitted to over the years so I question whether it is his stupidity or a brilliant trolling exercise.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Tekkie® wrote: ...

Have done off and on...that filter isn't running at the moment altho mostly a "ignore thread" is the nearly automagic reaction...been slow couple of days, though, hadn't been feeling real well so not doing much outside work...

--

Reply to
dpb

He's just as bad as that flyover-state "Ohioguy" tax-avoider putz. It's too bad we can't just put a fence around the interior of the country, starting at 200-300 miles from the oceans/gulfs.That would get most, but not all, of the red states securely stuffed into confinement.