Subject Author Posted Replies

Spilled water on fresh grout - what to do?
I was applying grout when I spilled about a cup of water all over the freshly applied grout. I immediately applied paper towels, but what should I do?
7
7

OT: AT&T U-verse opinions
Most of us readers here have HD DVR and TV, I/Net and phones. I have at&t landline for my phone and DSL (extremely reliable), comcast for my HD DVR TV and paying separately is costing me $250+USD/mo....
45
45

Motor Run capacitor
The HVAC guy told my wife the motor run capacitor on my AC unit needed changing because it measured 4 instead of 5. He didn't say 4 or 5 what, I'm assuming uF. Does this really need to be replaced?...
36
36

Your helper better be old enough
" The Department of Labor has proposed new rules that would restrict children under the age of 16 from working on a farm or ranch. The list of tasks youth would not be allowed to do is astonishing to...
43
43

Does Anyone Make GRAY Illuminated Wall Switches?
I've spent some effort trying to find illuminated-off wall switches in gray. They would look good in a recently-repainted room. Looking on the internet and through the product catalogs of such...
7
7

Need to square a door
I have a door that has never been painted or sealed. After 30+ years it's sagging against the strike side of the jamb. My idea is to take it off the jamb and square it up, glue any loose joints, clamp...
8
8

Removing Aerator From Copper Faucet
Hi, I need to remove a clogged aerator from a copper clad faucet. The aerator has corroded onto the faucet. How do I remove the aerator without damaging it? The faucet is part of an expensive set....
8
8

How to make a wooden lampshade
Video. Stick around to the end. The final result is, well, interesting: A very quick clip to show the process Soren goes through when making one of his unique wooden lamp shades. !!! Please before you...
24
24

Linseed oil causes house fire
Somehow this does not make sense..... 1. Who ever heard of using linseed oil to clean a couch cushion? 2. Why would it combust from sitting outside in the cold winter? The article is here: Cushion...
18
18

Harbor Freight going out of Business
Harbor Freight going out of Business. that it's any real loss, since their tools were mostly all junk anyhow! The end for Harbor Freight?? Mechanical & Electrical
79
79

PVC Pipe and Fittings--White, Gray, etc.
I have a situation (water filter mounting) where a couple of 3/4" x 3" NPT pipe nipples would work perfectly, but got a shock when I saw the price on those in brass ($15 each at Lowes). So I decided...
13
13

sweating copper part 2
Hello, Thanks for all the good input in the other thread. I've concluded that the joints were not hot enough, due to working on a joint with pipe on both sides, therefore not enough heat. Lesson...
23
23

how to repair corner cracks in drywall
have several small cracks in the corners, have openened them up and planning to fill with all purpose joint compound and smooth... I don't know if this is the best way...will the cracks come back?
14
14

Repairing leak in 2" steam return line pipe running along basement floor
Last night I peaked in the basement of a building I manage, and noticed rusty water on the floor. It turns out that a 2" steel return pipe along the floor close to the wall apparantly corroded to a...
20
20

Plumbing CPVC to blue pipe
I have a buried water line with is 3/4 blue pipe, probably polybutylene, that was put in 30 years ago that I need to connect to 3/4 CPVC line. I=92ve heard that regular CPVC couplings and cement are...
22
22