Shutting off those solar yard lights

The first of these solar yard lights had a small switch to turn them on and off. As they got cheaper, the switches were eliminated in favor of a small plastic strip that was removed to turn them on, and they could never be shut off again, because those strips will not go back in. Most people just stick them in their yard and dont touch them again. Myself, I do this same thing to a certain degree, but I have a few that I like to take with me when I go camping. If I pack them in my camping gear, they are dead when I get to the campsite. It usually takes them several days to totally recharge after a complete discharge, thus, if I camp for a weekend, they rarely last all night until the end of the weekend.

Also, I bring them indoors in the winter, and found that if they are in discharge mode all winter, they take forever to recharge in spring, and a few of them never worked again.

My question is this: Has anyone found something that can be shoved back in that slot that is strong enough to be pushed in until they are shut off? Obviously it can't be metal. I know it just provides an insulated spacer between the battery and the clip.

What might be used to push into that slot that is strong enough and an insulator? I was thinking that maybe a slice of a credit card might work, but I dont have one to cut up and try. Anyone have other ideas?

(Yea, I know I can take out the screws and remove the battery, but that's too much trouble to do repeatedly).

Reply to
tangerine3

go the grocery store. they have a rack of gift cards. take one. they aren't worth anything until run up at the checkout. don't ring it up.

they are also a good source for putty spreaders.

Reply to
chaniarts

buy a small LED flashlight with 3 AAA or AA batteries. They will last months. Mark

Reply to
Mark

I've taken lights camping, but mine have switches. The point is, I take the batteries out and give them a full charge first. Install later.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

What do you charge them with?

I know when you buy them, they are usually fully charged. This makes me wonder if they are pre-charged, or do they charge with the solar cell when the shut off tab is still in place??????

I cant find any of them with switches anymore. I suppose I could add one, but the switch probably costs more than the light did.

Reply to
tangerine3

Great idea. I never thought of that.....

Reply to
tangerine3

Some snipped. (AIOE quotation limit)

Plastic knife?