Subject Author Posted Replies

Repairing leak in 2" steam return line pipe running along basement floor
Last night I peaked in the basement of a building I manage, and noticed rusty water on the floor. It turns out that a 2" steel return pipe along the floor close to the wall apparantly corroded to a...
20
20

Plumbing CPVC to blue pipe
I have a buried water line with is 3/4 blue pipe, probably polybutylene, that was put in 30 years ago that I need to connect to 3/4 CPVC line. I=92ve heard that regular CPVC couplings and cement are...
22
22

Aerators for homes with low water pressure?
I often have chronically low water pressure throughout my home, and the faucet aerators with their flow restrictors make the water flow even worse. The flow restrictors seem to be integral with the...
3
3

AC connection - flaring pipe
Was watching and old episode of ATOH the other day and Rich was with an AC guy in Florida. They were installing AC in a garage. To make the connections the guy just flared the pipe and tightened them...
13
13

OT: Keep your email address secret from your state
>If a person has no computer and of course no E mail address, Does that mean they are not allowed to vote???????????>
2
2

sweating copper
The solder should melt the second you touch the heated metal with it, leading me to think that you are not heating the joint hot enough. Put more heat on a freshly cleaned and fluxed joint and see if...
74
74

I'm curious how 'bad' these (hopefully minor) mistakes are in laying sandstones
I'm sure nothing is perfect - but - I'm curious how bad these obvious (after the fact) mistakes are in laying mortar & sandstone on a concrete footing. Here are some bubbles that come up for a few...
7
7

Need flat area on round fluted column
Trying to add railings to my front porch. I have 7" round fluted AFCO columns and want to mount PVC railings. I need a flat surface on the column to attach the mounting flange. I think I would have to...
9
9

Removing Rain-X from car windshield
I put some Rain-x on my windshield on the outside. I noticed they sell one bottle for the outside of the window and one for the inside. I figured they just wanted to sell two bottles and it's the same...
58
58

Removing 1.5 Acres of Bamboo in Towson, MD (2023 Update)
check this out on the species, your bamboo forest could yield 50,000 to 100,000 pounds of dry timber per acre. From second link....... ERADICATING BAMBOO. Bamboo can be eradicated by several methods:...
66
66

which repairs should be first
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle), foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile, etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation...
22
22

Furnace Air Filter Questions
My 95.5% Gas furnace came with a fiberglass air filter with little restriction and no filtering action. I substituted a Filtrete allergy reduction filter and went about my business. Been running that...
2
2

estimating for a handy man special type house
Ok, this home is almost 2400 sq feet, one story (no basement) located just outside of Houston, Texas. Any idea what a roof job might cost if it's shingle and complete tearoff of old? Assume that the...
1
1

Screwing Versus Nailing Studs
I'm watching Holmes. In many cases, his crew is screwing studs where other shows I watch use nails. Is that a Canadian thing, personal preference, better, worse, or what? They're building a wall, and...
9
9

Junction Box Code Question
If you're not kidding, be sure to buy grounded duct tape. You may have to buy it at an electrical supply store since Home Depot or True Value may not have it. This duct tape has a fine metallic mesh...
14
14