Trailer hitch lock is stuck

I bought an old used pickup truck a few months ago that has a trailer hitch with a lock on it. I have the keys to the lock, but I can't get the lock to open so I can remove the towbar/ball (or whatever that is called).

Here's a link to an online image of a lock that looks like the one I have:

Hopefully, the link will work.

The lock has a press-type button on the end. The key goes in, and everything seems to turn freely, etc. But I can't get the lock to come off so I can pull the bar out and remove the towbar/ball.

I have used oil etc. to get everything loose, and I have tried tapping on the mechanism. It just won't come apart. If I can't figure it out, I guess I'll have to cut the lock off.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could try?

Reply to
TomR

You already did the oil and hammer method. Try to hammer harder!!!! It's junk anyhow.....

If that dont work, use an angle grinder and cut it off. Thats a no brainer....

Of course you'll have to buy a new one, but it dont have to be the locking type unless you live in a real high crime area. The non-lock type are about $5.

On Sun, 13 May 2012 19:04:30 -0

400, "TomR" wrote:

Reply to
tangerine3

Remove the drawbar when not in use and you don't need the lock, unless they are going to steel the whole trailer - in which case you need to lock the coupler too.

Reply to
clare

If the lock is stuck, the tow bar may also be rotted to the receiver. More heat and beat. I've seen tow bars that were seriously stuck on.

One time, I also helped a friend remove a ball hitch from a SUV. That took heat, and impact gun to get the bolts to loosen.

.

If that dont work, use an angle grinder and cut it off. Thats a no brainer....

Of course you'll have to buy a new one, but it dont have to be the locking type unless you live in a real high crime area. The non-lock type are about $5.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's true. I don't need it to lock. I have another trailer hitch on my car and I don't use a lock with that one.

Reply to
TomR

In some states, it is an equipment violation to leave them in place if it extends more than a couple of inches beyond the bumper. Pull into a parting space behind one and it becomes plain why it would not be there.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is an old post (2012), but if someone has the same problem, cut it off with an angle grinder.

Reply to
Police

replying to Stormin Mormon, CampingMagic wrote: If the lock works , turn the lock barrel quarter turn to the right. Use a medium size flat blade screwdriver inserted upwards through the hole in the bottom to unscrew the set screw and release the lock. If you don't have the key, drill upwards through the bottom hole to allow access with the screwdriver. It's about 1/4" hole and you are drilling through a soft alloy.

Reply to
CampingMagic

replying to TomR, CampingMagic wrote: The Master Lock 30 Hitch Lock is held in place by a large set screw that is tightened with a screwdriver through the hole underneath the lock. The key allows the alloy barrel to be rotated to block screwdriver access to this hole. If the key operates the lock loosen the set screw with a screwdriver. If the key is missing or the lock does not work, drill upwards through hole the get access with a screwdriver and loosen the set screw. Good Luck.

Reply to
CampingMagic