Subject Author Posted Replies

Lessons learned on my first alt.home.repair mortar & flagstone job! (thanks to all)
It's a good thing I'm not getting paid by the hour - but at least I'm learning how to make mistakes in my first sandstone tile & flagstone walkways: First lesson learned was to wear better gloves! The...
51
51

Fluorescent lights cause buzzing in intercom system
Ever since I installed a 7-station intercom system (hard-wired), 20 years ago, I had an annoying buzz when I used the system in the evening, i.e. when three kitchen fluorescent lights were on. The...
16
16

Bath vanity, part II
We got the sumbitch out today. The key to removal was the 15" sidesplash. Used a razor knife from the top and then a putty knife to gently pry it off. Little damage to the wall and no breakage. Once I...

OT News from Canada
Give em a break eh. It was 7:25 in the morning. But you can't blame them for having large meaty canadian sausages on their minds...
3
3

Why every deck should have a railing
If you think they were created to NOT provide sufficient supervision and control, you are correct. (g)
2
2

Advantium 120 repair
I have one and last night while preheating the convection oven, there was a strange flash and poof and now the convection oven/broiler doesn't work. The speed cook and microwave still work. Is there...
18
18

Scorched Outlet and Plug from Furnace Blower Motor
Not normal, but saves putting in a switch. A switch is normal. Greg
24
24

Granite Counter Tops
Are granite counter tops a fad? Synthetic solid surface materials seem to have a lot more appeal to me, but I don't know much about them. My wife has indicated that she might want some sort of butcher...
63
63

What causes this crazy brown 'crazing' in a varnished steel measuring square?
What causes this crazy brown crazing on a varnished steel square? can be done to get rid of it (so that I can read the numbers on the rule)? I pulled out this measuring square out of my toolbox and...
24
24

What tool do you use to make parallel lines when cutting flagstone (or anything)?
I can't believe I'm having trouble with drawing parallel lines of un- square objects such as for cutting flagstone. What tool do you use? Here's a sample problem I had today: I wanted to do was draw a...
15
15

WAY OT (but it happens in homes)
REPUBLICANS HAVE MORE ORGASMS "It?s the G-OHHHHH-P! "Republicans are more likely to have better sex than Democrats, according to a new, 5,000-subject survey released by Binghamton University and on...
34
34

How to make a weed eater drive shaft?
Anybody have a link to a picture or video/whatever that shows what a weedeater drive shaft looks like on the inside? I think they spin at thousands of RPM, so maybe they have bearings inside to keep...
2
2

How much & which direction would you set the slope in the level for a flagstone walkway?
In another thread, you guys helped me on constructing a simple flagstone walkway. Today I bought two levels to ensure that I get the water runoff right. Checking the existing level of the existing...
14
14

Lack of suitable joint spacers is driving me crazy (my 1st flagstone walkway)
Here is a picture of my current (lousy) attempt at uniform spacers between flagstones to be set into mortar tomorrow: board in that picture, placed with the tall side up (instead of flat as it is in...
17
17

Never place your phone in a microwave oven
This is listed in the owners manual for my cellphone. "Never place your phone in a microwave oven as it will cause the battery to explode." Ummmmmmm, why would someone microwave a cellphone? Do some...
35
35