Backer rod source/question

We just completed a screened-in deck and we need to fill between the decking to stop insects from coming in.

The decking is a TREX-style. The whole deck is 16x20 and there is a concrete pad under 16x16 that is enclosed, insulated, and "roofed" to shed water. The other 16x4 area is where my wife has some of her flowers. I keep lawn mowers and "stuff" and my gas grill for winter storage in the enclosed area.

It was suggested we use fiberglass screening, but it poses a cleaning problem if any non-liquid is spilled. If the screening is attached at the bottom of the joists, then there will be a large area to collect debris. If we attach the screening to the bottom of the deck boards, the clean up will have to be done with a vacuum cleaner, which is a pain.

Another suggestion is to use backing rod. Push it into the spaces between the deck boards. If a spill occurs, just pull it up, sweep and replace it.

We prefer the backer rod, but I can only find it in 1/2", 5/8" and

3/4" diameters. I would like to use 3/8", but don't know if it is made or not.

Does anyone know if that size is made, and a source for it?

Thanks John Carter

Reply to
J Carter

DD_BobK

It compresses, use the next size larger than the width of the area to fill.

Reply to
dadiOH

Why not just put some loose linoleum over it, or cover it with 1/4" plywood. You only need 2 sheets. Put in a few screws and you're done. If it's gonna get water on it, use treated plywood. Or how about indoor-outdoor carpeting....

Reply to
tangerine3

Sears has 1/4" backer rod (you have to order it, as it is not on the stores' shelves, here, anyway), so I would imagine 3/8" is available. I know this because, recently, I ordered 1/4" rod. *I just happen to have the invoice handy, here, and the part number is EF14C, item description - 1/4" closed cell Backer Rod, 100 ft roll, quantity 2, for a total of $20.90 plus tax and shipping. Maybe the 3/8" part number is EF38C... do a Sears search.

Another alternative is to use 3/8" jute rope as a chinking medium. You can stain the rope, with a dye stain (not an oil stain), to match your color, dip/soak it in melted/hot wax, to make it water proof, then insert the rope into the gaps. I would think waxed rope would last longer than typical backer rod and be more readily replaceable with itself, if ever pulled out. Pulling out "old" backer rod would likely damage the rod, so you'd have to replace with a new rod.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

That's a new issue :o) Why not get some fiberglass screen....cut strips, roll them into the size you need, secure roll with a dab of adhesive and use it like you plan to use the backer rod? Easy to insert and remove, low cost. This is just for the 16x4 area, right?

Reply to
Norminn

Grainger carries backer rod in 3/8". Your local contractor supply houses might also carry it.

But, I gotta ask...was this screened-in deck built to be good looking?

If so, I can't imagine going through the work and expense to build a good looking living/hang out space and then shoving backer rod in between each deck board. I'll admit that I've never seen it done, but it just doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing to me.

Best of luck to you, in any case.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Contact any commercial caulk supplier. Backer rod is quite common at

1/4" , 3/8, 1/2, etc. 1/4" is normally used for pavement saw kerfs.
Reply to
DanG