Why do power drills have R and L?

Maybe '70? I had a '60 Plymouth and '65 Dodge and they still used left handed. My mother had a Gold Duster but I never had cause to work on it. When I asked about her sudden sporty taste she admitted it was discourage becoming a taxi driver for her retired friends.

Reply to
rbowman

How the f*ck could one single nut hold on a huge wheel?

My Renault Espace used to have wheel nuts coming loose, it wasn't dangerous, you felt a very strong vibration long before they came off. I was told it was because I had alloy nuts and steel wheels or the other way round.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So I finally had to go out to the shed and look. Arrows. I never really thought about it.

Reply to
rbowman

I've got a vague memory of some sort of experiment where the meter went clockwise but you had to turn the knob counterclockwise to get the meter to move clockwise. It might have been an example of how not to design controls.

Reply to
rbowman

The Cessna 0-2 Skymaster was designed to kill you no matter which way you crashed...

Reply to
rbowman

Eels have a reverse gear.

Reply to
rbowman

I never realized there were arrows. Squeeze the trigger and if the drill is going the wrong way, flip the lever.

The last time I remember reversing it was to use a GrabIt to remove a mangled torx head screw. fwiw, it worked very well and is a lot easier than trying to drill a small screw for an extractor:

Also you don't have to worry about breaking a #1 extractor and really being up the creek.

Reply to
rbowman

Yup, and I've had the drill motor for 20 years or so. Learn something every day.

Reply to
rbowman

That's the wrong way round for me. Pushing it to the left makes me think the drill will rotate left, which it doesn't.

Mind you I also think M$ Windows dialogs are the wrong way round, having OK on the left and cancel on the right. Macs have it the correct way round, affirmative should always be on the right, like with a car accelerator.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

To me it's obvious I'm moving the other end of a pivoted object, so I push right to move the rudder left. I also find it obvious which way to turn a car steering wheel when reversing, even with a trailer. And I detest people telling me to "left hand down". FFS just say left or right. Left hand down makes no sense if I'm leaning over the seat looking behind me with only my right hand on the wheel.

Never found a valid reason for those tiny number that are left.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Agreed, except to hell with those that won't learn the universal language.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Probably depends on the make. Mine is a Deworx. No, not Dewalt. Chinese copy, quarter of the price.

Just checked my Ryobi, Performance Power, and Draper drills, and they all have an arrow pointing forwards or backwards.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't push the right side of my bike handlebars to go right.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My 69 Dart had lefties. My '74 dart did not. Nor did my brother's '73. From what I remember being in the trade at the time MOST '71s did not, and all '72s did not

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Why do people insist on using terms like millennial? I have no f****ng idea what that means, and if you google it, there are widely varying opinions. Surely words could be used that clearly indicate the decade of birth?

And what the f*ck is an annual? And why is it mandated? Are you in a care home?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I would say it means born in the year 2000. Let's google that shall we?

"Researchers and popular media use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years, with 1981 to 1996 a widely accepted defining range for the generation."

What a vague and useless description. So it's people born some time before the millennium. It could equally suggest people born some time after it. Or close to it in either direction.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah of course, everyone associates bleach with a triangular shape. Is the molecule that shape or something?

So you didn't know either, which proves the shapes are pointless. So you would have thought you could wash it, when in fact you could tumble it.

And you spose incorrectly, both machines are a circular drum inside a square chassis.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

E? FFS.

BTW, when I were a lad, I thought P was "pissing place" because that's where my dad would stop if I said I needed to go.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So to turn your car to the right you push on the right of the steering wheel?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I have never met anyone who can't read an analogue clock.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey