Why do power drills have R and L?

Bullshit for every car I've ever owned. All the nuts are right hand threads.

And I had one car (a Golf) where I wished it had loosened them, because every time I had to remove a nut, I had to use an extendable bar of about 3 feet and jump up and down on the end to undo the nut as it was so tight. I went through quite a lot of 13mm socket bits which sheared in half.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yip, like trying to steer a supermarket trolley. Some things are best done from a particular end. Sex for example.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Quit IT with THE capitalization.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So do dogs and it's hilarious.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They don't insist, they choose to do that.

And they do that because it's a convenient word to describe a group of people, same with teenager, geriatric, benefits bludger etc etc etc.

You could get real radical and look it up using wiki,

Not if you use wiki, stupid.

It isnt just one decade, stupid.

Annual medical, stupid.

It isnt.

They don't have care homes.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If it's good enough for Ferrari... Even the Brits used them;

On my '60 Plymouth the wheel was held on with the standard studs and nuts. However, the entire brake drum assembly was a taper fit on the splined axle andheld in place by one castle nut. They were a pain in the ass. Getting the nut off generally required a breaker bar and a length of pipe. Then to get the brake drum off you needed a hub puller and that seldom went well either.

Reply to
rbowman

For more hilarity watch a bird in high wind. Like airplanes they land upwind but if the wind speed is high enough they actually are going backwards relative to the ground. The touch down isn't too graceful.

Reply to
rbowman

Medicare pays (mostly) for an annual physical. Being Medicare the provider does a mental acuity assessment. The nurse says three words and a few minutes later asks you what they were. She also has you draw a clock face with the hands pointing to a particular time. Last time around I got ornate and did the whole thing with Roman numerals.

If you flub the three words or clock I assume they dig deeper.

I would eat my .45 before I went into a nursing home.

Reply to
rbowman

The press loves that generation shit. Woodstock Generation, Silent Generation, and so forth. I think it was '69 when they had a big funeral in San Francisco for 'Hippie, son of Media'.

Reply to
rbowman

And with motorcycles to turn left you push on the right handlebar...

I'd been successfully countersteering since my father took the training wheels off my 24" bicycle. After having the physics of it all explained to me in a motorcycling class I damn near killed myself. It's as bad as explaining how walking really works. Some stuff you just do, screw the explanation.

Reply to
rbowman

That tapered and keyed hub was a real pain. Thankfully MOST later chryslers that used that setup had removeabvle drums and the hub only had to come off to do axle bearings.

VW (and most older Brits like the MG) used the splined version - and on the VW the hub WAS the drum.

Heading out the Macha road to Choma on my way home to Livingstone one Sunday the old '49 bug slowed down as the engine sped up - and when I got out to check the nut was spinning on the one side, but the wheel wasn't turning - - - - . No trouble taking THAT one off!!!

Got an old drum from a '60s bug and cur it down half an inch or so with a hacksaw and cold chisel.

A few years later, back in Canada, I was driving an MGB on labour day weekend. My brother and I had gone from Waterloo to Shannonville speedway for the vintage racing weekend - and got rained out. Back in Waterloo the weather was fine so I picked up my girlfriend (now my wife) and headed out for the Milton Steam Show. Just leaving town, as we crossed the grand river bridge the left rear corner dropped, then junped, and we were passed by the rear wheel - including the drum - crossed 3 lanes of traffic on the bridge, jumped up on the bridge ubutment, then wobbled and frll into the ditch.

My apprentice had done some brake work and had forgotten to replace the honkin' big cotter pin - - - - - - . He caught hell Tuesday morning!!! Actually I just told him to go to the wreckers on his lunch hour, buy the parts needed, and put it back together on his own time.. He was just happy he still had a job.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not quite. To turn left, you initially turn right by pushing on the left handlebar or pulling on the right handlebar. If you just push on the right handlebar you're going to be turning right.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Well on a bike you turn by moving your body weight. The handlebars are there to stop you falling over

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. Because it's been proved that an analogue dial cam be read approximately in sub second times. And in particular fast movement - think altimeter unwinding - is way easier to understand at a glance.

Our brains are wired for analogue. Digital for precisions, analogue for rapidity.

Both for choice

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've not used a Mac enough to have noticed that, but I know that Linux GUIs (Gnome on Ubuntu, and the GUI on Raspbian) have the OK and Cancel buttons the opposite way round to Windows. When I switch between the two, I always end up cancelling a dialogue box instead of continuing, until my brain switches over. I suppose Mac, being based on Unix, will adopt the same convention as Linux, OK on the right.

Reply to
NY

Reversing a trailer/caravan is one skill I've never mastered. I found it very difficult even to keep the trainer in a straight line behind the car, never mind making it turn. I know the principle of counter steer, but my brain doesn't seem to be able to work out the negative feedback loop of how far to turn and when to straighten again to correct for any errors. Even reversing a car without trailer is not as easy as driving forwards, not because of the poorer visibility but because the car's tendency to self-centre when going forward (it wants to go straight and you have to deviate from that) is reversed when going backwards (if the steering is slightly to one side, it wants to become more so and you have to consciously apply correction to keep it straight).

When I'm reversing I tend to look forward and scan the left, centre and right mirrors to judge clearance and alignment with walls or white lines, rather then turning to look over my shoulder. Door mirrors, pointing downwards to show the car's rear wheels relative to a kerb or white lines, show you a view that is not possible by looking over your shoulder.

I presume boats with a steering wheel to control the rudder use the normal car convention of clockwise=right/starboard. Seeing the mechanics of a simple tiller rudder makes it blindingly obvious that you need to move the tiller in the opposite direction to the way the paddle moves. I wonder if anyone ever tried to make a linkage which required the tiller to be moved to the same side as you wanted to turn to see if this was a more intuitive user-interface.

Reply to
NY

I have "icon blindness" and I prefer words (even in a foreign language) to an icon which I can't decypher. The standard ones like the ones for stop, pause, rew, ff, play on a tape recorder are fine. It's the ones that are specific to one device that I have problems with: I have to go through the initial stage of "WTF is this icon a picture of" before I can do the comparatively easy second stage of translating the picture into its meaning. I can never remember which reminder lights on the dashboard relate to front lights and which to rear lights. I have to turn on the headlights to see which way the dipped/beam lights face on the warning light to then determine which is the light for front fogs and which is the one for rear fogs ;-)

Reply to
NY

Just as I don't push the right hand side of my steering wheel upwards to turn right.

To get back to the OP's question, it would be far better if the direction control for an electric drill was rotary rather than linear, then you'd turn the control clockwise to select clockwise drilling/screwing direction etc.

Reply to
NY

That's just showing off, putting Roman numerals on it. I've always wondered why a lot of clocks with Roman numerals use "IIII" rather than "IV" for 4. Roman numerals tend to be written in the form that uses fewest symbols, even if that may involve qualifying a number that is too large with symbols before to mean "subtract this little bit".

I'd be tempted to draw my Old Peculier clock with the hands back to front but the numbers also the opposite direction

just to show that I was still on the ball.

My dad is in the very early stages of dementia, and he went for tests which did the standard things like remembering a list of numbers or words and repeating them in reverse order. He said he doubted he could have done it perfectly even when he was younger, because like me, his memory for sequences of things in short-term memory has never been good. He and I are hopeless at mental arithmetic because we can't visualise the numbers and the running total so as to add the corresponding units, tens, hundreds etc and keep track of carry digits. Given a pen and paper, it's trivial - even if a bit laborious - because you can see and refer back to the numbers you're working on.

Reply to
NY

Even adding wavy lines (to denote a heating element) or fan blades (to denote air being blown) would be an improvement to the symbol, and make it clear that it related to tumble drying rather than washing.

The real problem with washing labels is that you have to *interpret* them: having worked out that a certain symbol means "wash at 40 deg C with moderate agitation and slow spin" you then have to work out how to achieve that with your washing machine. It would be far better if all washing machines had several standard programmes and the label indicated "Programme

3", where that was the same on all machines.

I'm sure when my mum first got an automatic washing machine in the early

1970s, the machine and the clothes *were* marked with programme numbers. I wonder if that was before we adopted the Euro standard symbols... Am I imagining that, or was there a time when clothes/machines used programme numbers?
Reply to
NY