Why do power drills have R and L?

In some parts of the world, Germany for example, half 8 would be 7:30.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

well so it is here too;: thirty minutes *past* seven or thirty minutes

*to* eight.

but we are all going military. Its 07:30 - "oh seven thirty [hours]"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can assure you that tests have been done, and there is a huge body of sound data to tell aircraft manufacturers to retain analogue style readouts.

A quick glance when you *know* where the dials usually are is all it takes to ascertain something is not as it usually is.

The problem with digital is that values that are close together, like

999 and 1000 are RADICALLY different at a quick glance. You have to do an intellectual comparison - the old spatial memory sense isn’t enough..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We don't seem to have those, probably some overpriced regulations stop them being economical.

Fuck me, we pay more than that in £ at all stations. And AFAIK a £ is worth more than an Aussie dollar. Fucking thieving government taxes.

I doubt I could find anyone who doesn't know that word.

I find it absurd, it's such a simple concept.

What else would they call it.

The mind boggles. Do they get someone to tie their laces too?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A map on the wall can be confusing though. The earth is flat, not vertical so the may should be laid on on the floor. They print maps on paper for that reason, lay them out flat just like the earth. Hanging a map on the wall is almost as dumb as the people that put them on a a ball. If the earth was like that, half the people would fall off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ours are mostly the result of the big drop in the number of service stations. At one time it wasn't that uncommon to have one on each of the 4 corners of an intersection.

Yeah, western europe has always had a much higher level of govt tax on petrol than we have. And ours is quite a bit higher than the USA has too.

The current conversion rate is in fact 2:1

Yep, your total tax take is much higher than ours.

Bet you could particularly with high school kids etc.

Its not the concept that's the problem, its remembering which is which.

They don't need to call it anything.

At most they just say 'turn it this way'

Plenty of them don't have any laces at all.

And yes, they do get someone to tie their tie when they do need to wear one.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Agreed - it does amuse me that people have to remember the points of the compass as "never eat shredded wheat". I just know where they are. As for left and right getting mixed up, for crying out loud. Even if they're that thick, how about you write with your right hand? I think the Merkins have infected us with gross stupidity.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You have no proof of any lies.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ever moved it while it's running and made a worrying noise?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've seen something like that, I think it's a barometer calibration, or perhaps setting a cheap clock.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cessnas are for jumping out of.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Either you don't use it much or it's a very expensive drill, because I wear them out much quicker than that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I also had a low ground clearance problem. Perhaps both were caused by the boy racer I bought it off. It was quite fun actually to go fast over speedbumps past pedestrians and make really loud scraping noises. Once one of them shouted "any old scrap metal?"

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've seen one make zero progress, but never reverse. Any footage on the net?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I used to have a watch with both. Except the analogue hands obscured the digital readout at certain times.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't have that problem as I never use fog lights. The front ones don't make it any easier to see, and the back ones are mistaken for brake lights.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It should also be made less easy to knock it, making the drill move unexpectedly and cause damage.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What do they do about the other 28 points?

Reply to
rbowman

I don't use it too often. I prefer a hand drill.

Reply to
rbowman

Not that I can find. Some clips of seagulls making negative distance but not landing.

I saw a raven playing in the wind breaking over a ridge like. He was gliding and would slowly lose altitude. When he got too close to the ground he'd flap his wings a few time to get about six feet high and go back to gliding. Sometime the R/C glider guys fly on that ridge but the raven could show them how it's done.

Reply to
rbowman