Why do power drills have R and L?

With heavy wheels, they're all a PITA.

My last car, with bolts, had a tool in the kit which screwed into a bolt hole. A sort of longer bolt with no head. That made fitting the wheel a bit easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Shifting your weight will, at best, get you a very gentle sweeping turn, totally inadequate for navigation. OTOH, I doubt that you were serious.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

No. If you want to turn right, you push the right handlebar.

I've ridden motorcycles and driven in cars with people who do as you described, but there's no reason to turn in the opposite direction before making your actual turn. I'd make an exception if you're pulling a trailer and you want to make sure it doesn't clip the curb.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

<by countersteering!>

Depending on tire profile and other conditions, the bike may want to continue to fall into the turn or it may want to stand up. In either case, it's up to the rider to maintain the proper line.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

[snip]

Does pushing on the left side of the lever work OK?

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

AFAIK, I haven't either. I have often heard of young people not knowint it.

BTW, Analog clocks do seem to be an inferior way of telling time, when you can look at a digital clock and immediately see what time it is (you should already recognize numerals). While I do understand that analog clocks were easier to make when electronics didn't exist or meant vacuum tubes, but that isn't a problem anymore.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Not for my 1998 Chevrolet. The first tire I changed was on the left side. When a tire on the right needed changing, then I discovered the reverse threads.

However, I'll apologize for assuming it's universal.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Was 4 IV or IIII?

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I won't be filling up this month either. Still have about 90% left.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I see you haven't a clue

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see you have never ridden a cycle

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jim Joyce presented the following explanation :

Indeed, replacing worn out tires with the original replacements makes the handling different. You don't notice it slowly changing as they wear down, but the new one's difference in un-worn shape suddenly make it noticeable.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Why not, you bucktoothed asswhole?

Reply to
Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Bullshit. Most people can look at a clockwise arrow on the side of the drill and retain that clockwise image in their mind when looking at the workpiece.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's rubbish, everyone still understands the rotational direction of a clock.

Nope, they're faster to look at, especially the 3 foot diameter one.

Too slow, you have to ask for the time then wait for the answer and listen to it. I can just glance to my right and immediately know it's half 8.

Can't afford a wristwatch? I can leave my phone in my pocket and get the time off my watch.

You have a clock built into your head?!

I thought you had a good general idea of the time....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I don't see the inferiority at all. If a digital clock is too far away I cannot make out the numbers , rendering it useless. With analog, all I need is the position of the hands. No numbers needed. Sure, I could not be sure if it 10:22 or 10:23 but close enough 99.99% of the time.

Yes, I've knowbmn couple of young people that do no know how to tell time on an analog clock.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Since you brought it up. I was always taught IV but just looked this up:

Is 4 IIII or IV? Originally, it was common to use IIII to represent four, because IV represented the Roman god Jupiter, whose Latin name, IVPPITER, begins with IV. The subtractive notation (which uses IV instead of IIII) has become the standard notation only in modern times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What annoys me is some things are the opposite way round.

Volume control on your stereo - clockwise for more sound. The tap in your sink - anti-clockwise for more water.

There seems to be some weird custom to make electrical things go faster to the right and fluid or gas go faster to the left.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

As is usual for the thicko bisexual Canadian that refuses to post to the UK group, which I've re-added, you misunderstand. Those sort of dials are moving the needle to the right, not rotating.

This is a rotational dial:

This is a left to right dial:
And just to confuse you, this is down to up:

Commander Kinsey

Electrons spin clockwise.

Reply to
charles