Type-R Lightbulb?

Hi all,

I have a lamp that requires a 50W Type-R light bulb? Does anyone know what kind of lightbulb that is?

The store where I bought the lamp had a PAR type light bulb in it. Is a PAR light bulb a Type-R bulb?

Also, would it be safe to use an under rated bulb? I heard PAR bulbs are hotter than regular bulbs and may melt certain lamps... so would it be safe to use a 40W or 30W version of the bulb?

Thanks.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Type R is a reflector...commonly referred to as a flood light. They do come in sizes...for example...R-30, R-40 ect..... The higher the number the bigger the lamp. You are going to need that number in order to get the right size. Otherwise, measure the distance across the opening of the fixture housing and take that measurement with you to your hardware store. good luck

Reply to
Mzone719

Check inside the fixture with a flashlight. There may be an instruction label inside which will tell you what lamp it can use.

Reply to
Art

Lucas:

LT> I have a lamp that requires a 50W Type-R light bulb? Does anyone know what LT> kind of lightbulb that is? LT> LT> The store where I bought the lamp had a PAR type light bulb in it. Is a PAR LT> light bulb a Type-R bulb? LT> LT> Also, would it be safe to use an under rated bulb? I heard PAR bulbs are LT> hotter than regular bulbs and may melt certain lamps... so would it be safe LT> to use a 40W or 30W version of the bulb?

It is generally safe to use an bulb with less wattage. The 50W is a maximum (sounds like a halogen wattage but not sure what "type R" is) the unit is built for. Exceptions to the "generally safe to use a lower wattage" would be such things as in a lava lamp (the goo won't liquify), film projectors.

As for finding out the type of lightbulb, if no one responds here perhaps do a search at a light bulb manufacturer like GE or Sylvania. Could also bring it in to a hardware store so the employee could eyeball it and make sure you have the correct replacement.

  • I know "Ren" means "Rename"......but Stimpy???
Reply to
barry martin

to follow up on my original reply to this post...it's most likely going to be a

50W R20. Available at just about any hardware or lighting store.
Reply to
Mzone719