Four 575 Lumen recessed LEDs bright enough for bedroom?

I'm trying to choose LED recessed lights for my bedroom. The room has 8 foot ceiling and is 12' by 13'.

I have it narrowed down to three-

1- the 6" Cree with 625 Lumens 2- the 6" Ecosmart with 625 Lumens 3 the 4" Ecosmart with 575 Lumens

Obviously the 6 inchers throw off more light and I am supposing would be more than adequate.

But we prefer smaller 4 inch lights.

So the questions seem to be, would the 4" Ecosmart with 575 lumens be bright enough for the bedroom. I read lots of reviews that say that they are plenty bright and need to be dimmmed. I hope this is true. We like to read in the room and need light.

Reply to
Senin

Hi, We don't have LEDs in the bedroom. But our kitchen ceiling has 4 of 6" ones which we use with dimmer. Daylight bulb. Another 4 of 4" ones over center island with dimmer. Wife says too bright when dimmer is defeated.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

575 lumens is ~50W equivalent 625 is ~65W equivalent.

If it were me, I'd want something more like 85W equivalent. The 625 might be OK, but I wouldn't go with the smaller one. With a dimmer you can always turn them down. Too small, you can't turn them up.

Reply to
trader_4

Let's go backwards here. Last thing you state is that you like to read in that room. You are probably better off getting two reading lights, either by the chair or bed you like to read in.

Ceiling fixtures in bedrooms are terrible and only for use while cleaning or changing sheets. The recessed lights may be a tad better, but still not as good as a reading light unless they are properly aimed.

What we recently did was change out light fixtures on the night tables. Each light had two bulbs that work independent of each other. You can have one or two lamps lit. We put a 40W revelation bulb on one side, a 40W equivalent CFL on the other side. With one lamp lit, that side of the bed is OK for reading. With two lit, it is good enough that I'd never use the ceiling fixture.

If we watch TV, no lamp needs to be lit, but one is OK.

We also ditched out king size bed and now have twin adjustable beds with memory foam mattresses. Wish I had done that a long time ago. Makes reading in bed much more comfortable.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hmmm, For reading I have night table reading lamp. Or eReader which glows in the dark. More and more I read books on eReader.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Top light is lousy for reading but regardless of that, I rather doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between 575 and 625 lumens.

Reply to
dadiOH

How do you like the 4" lights compared to the 6" lights?

Now we are considering in the bedroom, either 4 6" Cree LEDs or 6 4" Cree LEDs.

Which lights look better? Which supply better lighting?

Reply to
Senin