excellent price on LEDs yesterday

the power company is subsidizing them.

instead of paying ~$10/3 it is $2.88/6.

i thought when we were walking by the display that the price was wrong but a guy came along and said that no, this was the price.

there was a limit of two packs for each transaction, but i had a card for that store too so we picked up enough packs to replace all the track lights.

we were just talking the other day about replacing them because a few bulbs were burned out and needing replacement anyways, but at the higher price it just wasn't worth it. we don't use the track lights much (at 75 watts each and having eighteen of them going...).

so as soon as i get the ladder and do this project it will be good to have them done.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Good price. What size room needs 1350 watts of lighting? I can light my 2000 sq foot house with much less.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

these are track lights, rarely used, originally meant to light paintings as the house was built as a studio/gallery and summer home. they get used maybe 50 hours total a year. that's 12 out of the 18 lights. the other 6 are in this room.

normally we light with one LED light in the kitchen (which uses about 11 watts) i think that's 1200 lumens. when i read i have another single light in here that i use instead of the track lighting. i usually only turn those on when i'm looking for a book on the shelves or have dropped something.

we have other lights for when Ma is sewing or working in the kitchen and needs more light (several 4ft shoplights which reflect off the ceiling for indirect light).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Uncle Monster wrote: ...

GE branded Bright Stick daylight.

*nods* they are well worth the switch if you are going to run them off a backup or a generator or even solar panels or wind power. every bit less load the better as that is also less battery storage needed.

i know, i love the fact that i can lift this 27" monitor with two fingers. i just got it after my old tube monitor finally started going. i'm sure it uses much less juice than the old one.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

ah, as i was replacing the light bulbs this morning i also took out a previous GE Bright Stick which was a whiter/bluer light and the specs on that one were 10 watts and 760 lumens. the new ones are 9 watts and 800 lumens. a little bit of a nice bump for such a short period of time (less than a year).

23 of 24 bulbs done. forgot about one and so it will have to wait until i get the ladder out of the garage again. it is yet another light we use very rarely.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Uncle Monster wrote: ...

yes, except instead of a three pack they were six to the pack for $2.88 for the entire pack.

i turned on all the lights in the house this evening to see what it looked like all lit up. very fun. then turned them all off again except for the usual one or two we use.

in doing some quick math and running all the numbers from before it came down to total watts before to about 1740 vs 393 (for all our installed lights in the house). of which half the time we actually use about 20 - 30 watts for lights and the rest of the time 40% would be 84 watts more and the other 10% of the time would vary by how many track lights we turn on.

so to put it in payback terms on the power bill it might take a few months to a year to pay back the expense because we use the track lights infrequently, but when we do they pay for one bulb every few hours of use.

songbird

Reply to
songbird