Is it a problem if recessed light fixture touches PVC sewage pipe

A contractor is finishing my basement. I noticed that the electrician put a recessed light fixture touching the PVC sewage pipe in the ceiling.

Can the heat generated by the light damage the PVC pipe? (The recessed light fixture is IC-rated if it matters).

Thanks

Reply to
hmmhmm

If it's IC rated I wouldn't be concerned

Reply to
RBM

It should be ok, cans have a bimetal heat cutoff switch if they get to

194 degerees then back on at 184 degrees. And IC cans are made to run cooler on the outside. If your lights flash (due to thermal switch oscillating) then just go down 20 watts or so with the bulb, or drop the bulb position down in the can (see wing nut). If the can against the pipe is not also embedded in insulation it should run cool. I have one in contact with some cat5 phone wiring and never had a problem, and I'm sure cat5 has a lower melting point than PVC.
Reply to
RickH

What is the purpose of the PVC pipes? Is that strictly a venting system or a drain with a short vent added on? Either way that doesn't seem like the proper way to configure a vent unless it's eventually going to be extended out of the building or an auto-vent is going to be used.

Why are there 4 Fernco-style connectors that have been slit? Was the goal to prevent leakage if the glue joint fails? I have my doubts about that working and wonder why it was done at every horizontal junction.

The proximity to the electrical fixture may depend on the purpose of the PVC, but I believe that PVC is considered a "combustible material" when it comes to clearances, etc. The fixture itself should have a combustible material clearance rating, so that may answer your question regardless of what else is going on.

We need more info.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

What kind of light is it? What wattage? Different lights make different amounts of heat.

We need more info.

Reply to
micky

Probably not. Is it IC rated? Is there insulation around it that would trap the heat? Normally these cans run pretty cool as long as you use the "R" type bulb. People get in trouble when they put an "A" bulb in them. (Regular round light bulb)

Reply to
gfretwell

So, could he put an LED in and be OK for practical purposes?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Am I the only one baffled by the plumbing?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I woudl be baffled except I'm holding off until the OP posts again. Of course like usual, esp with homemoaners, he probably won't.

Reply to
micky

Are the rubber pieces there just to hold the white pipe away from the ceiling or whatever that is?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You know what's really weird? That picture appears to be associated with the text from the original 2007 post.

I think this is just another of those "traffic grabbers" from HOH.

I don't know what the split Fernco-style connectors are for. The pipe appears to be hung by that strap on the joist.

I'll bet we'll never find out.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

To hold the pipe fittings and the actual pipe together if the glue doesn't set properly? The Fernco type connectors are at the glued connections.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Seriously? The guy hired a plumber that can't glue PVC? That's a drain. If he doesn't trust his gluing capabilities on a drain, I wonder how he "protects" his work on pipes that are under pressure.

Not all of them.

Maybe he's just waiting for the glue to dry. :-O

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I assume he thinks the can might melt the PVC pipe.

Reply to
gfretwell