Why can't you rewind youtube advertisements?

Why is it that on youtube, you can pause and rewind to see things again, but during the advertisements, when they have a financial incentive, would seemingly most want you to watch again, you can't rewind, can't even pause afaicr?

Reply to
micky

micky,

Don't the companies which provide such ads have to pay for each viewing of such an ad ? If someone could put a number of ads (of competitors?) on a loop (on fast-forward maybe) that could get costly rather fast.

Same as with website ads getting clicked by 'puters in a botnet.

Though I have to say that this subject has got very little to do with this newsgroup ...

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

I suppose so. That might be it.

Assuming that became a problem, they could not charge for ads that were played more than twice in a row, or keep anyone from playing an ad more than twice.

Would they charge extra if one could pause a commercial?

Sometimes I am but I'm not likely to buy any of that stuff. However the guy who wants to pause the commercial seems likely to be a serious possible customer. Esp. compared to all the others who just want it to end.

Horrors!

Reply to
micky

Micky,

Why going for that kind of complex solutions when a way easier one (to maintain) is available ?

Time viewed ?

Also, they already had to block pretty-much everything else (restart, skip, fast fore/backwards). Blocking the all the controls would be easier, and also more secure (no chance of forgetting anything).

On the other hand, not being able to stop the ad might 1) make a much more lasting impression because of 2) force him to search for the product, strengthening #1 as well as exposing him to other products by the same company.

Really ? You don't care ? Are you and Arlen than not as different as I thought ? :-(

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Not so complex., Just takes a counter, an incrementer, a comparison, and a resetter.

But what would the "way easier one" be?

Secure? Secure against what. People viewing the commercial more than once?

I doubt that. I'm barely paying attention until I hear an important phrase, and if I can't go back and the rest doesn't explain, I just forget it altogether.

Half the time I don't even know what the product is, and more than half the time, he'll search for his problem/need/desire, not for a particular product.

Searching for what he wants will expose to other brands that do the same thing.

I don't think people work that way. People hear loads of commercials and they try to ignore them.

He's supposed to send in a DNA sample so we can have our genomes compared. I'll let you know then.

Reply to
micky

Micky,

... for all connections/users. Again, why would they want to do something like that when a way easier solution exists ?

Now I know you are trolling. How ? Because I already described it. In full. :-(

And again.

If he does a generic search, yes. Not so much when he uses the keywords he just heard.

Than being able to pause the ad won't help much, if anything.

Good answer, humorous. Doesn't change anything though.

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Some TV streams about repairing the home are the same way. I saw a home repair commercial the other day and wanted to watch the commercial again but no-can-do.

Reply to
jimmy