Where to buy 15 ft 3.5" OD pole?

I'm putting up a satellite dish and I need a 12' 3.5" OD pole, would Home Depot sell this? I don't want to go to a plumbing store, $$$. I called some places in the phone book under scrap metal and they said they had nothing like that. Any ideas?

Thanks Mike

btw I'm in the DC area

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Michael Baugh

Are you sure it is 3.5", my dish is mounted on 1.5" galvanized iron pipe (available at most good sized hardware stores). If that is what you're looking for, then yes Home Depot should have it (check in the fence section, chain link pole)

Happy hunting.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Yeah, my first idea is to inquire as to why you need a 12 ft pipe. Sure, you can get one, but why? Your subject line mentions it as a 15 ft pole, I figure you're planning on it being 3 ft deep. That question coming from someone that has mounted several dishes already. I am not willing to put one on a roof, because there are plenty of other places they can be put, and more easy access gained. So my first question is why you want a 12 foot pole.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Lowes will sell you 3" ID PVC pipe 20' long. (OD will be close to 3.5") Set it and pour it solid with concrete (about 80-90 lbs) after you get all the bolts set in it where you want them. I'm not sure how you would break it after the concrete sets.

Reply to
Greg

Hi,

4x4 lumber wouldn't do it? Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Plumbing supply houses are the ones that sell iron pipe in 20' lengths, which sounds like what you need, a 20' piece of 3 or 4" iron pipe. You'll probably want galvanized, or face a lifetime of rust.

Reply to
John Hines

You can get the pipe at

Rich

Rich

Home Despot. I just did mine yesterday. Used a piece of 1 1/4 galvanized. Direct TV hardware fit right on. Lumber is not very stable if it isn't treated.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Go the a plumbing supply house. They are not as high prices as you may think.

IIRC, most poles for that sized dish have to be sunk about 4' deep. Consider renting an auger to dig the hole.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Did you see the type of dish he has? Yes, he need a large strong pole.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You sure can, but did you check the prices??? OMIGOSH, I've never seen prices that high.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You have to call them and speak to a rep for a price quote.

Reply to
Rich

The web page has prices of 88¢ an inch for 4" pipe. Discount it 50% and then add shipping and you still have very high prices. Some things just don't lend themselves to mail order.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

$0.60 per inch for 3.5" od sch 40 pipe, or $108 for the materials, less S&H&every thing else.

Reply to
John Hines

Okay, it's a 10ft dish. So again I ask, why the 12' height?

Reply to
Michael Baugh

No kidding. Hey original poster: Is there going to be any shielding behind it up there??? Preferrably, the only thing hitting your LNB/LNC should be what's bouncing off of the dish. They *really* work better with something like a building or a hillside behind that dish, not free air (and stray RF).

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Mike Try using 3 inch Rigid Steel Conduit. It comes in 10 ft. lengths and each length has a coupling.

JRW

Reply to
J.R. Williams

No he doesn't. He should put the dish on the ground. Do you think 12 feet out of 24,000 miles is going to make any difference?

Besides, putting a ten-foot circle of metal twelve feet in the air is a disaster waiting for a victim.

Reply to
JerryMouse