where to buy lexan sheet?

Have you tried local glass shops, home centers, or hardware stores? I bought Lexan at a local hardware store a few months back. Sign makers may also be able to help.

Reply to
B a r r y

I need to make a router plate and would like to do it from ~3/8 clear lexan (probably 12"x12" sheet). Anyone know somewhere in the Northern VA area that might carry it? I've found a place online

but need to save the shipping time, if I can.

Reply to
Anonymoose

Ours have it, near the screen doors in one, and near the garage doors in another.

In fact, the one thing that our Borgs don't carry is real glass.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

B a r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I plan on checking glass shops - didn't think of trying a hardware store, I assumed it would be a little too esoteric for them. I'm pretty sure the Borgs don't carry that sort of thing, or at least I can't remember ever seeing it there.

Reply to
Anonymoose

Ay Nonee da Moose,

You _might_ have some luck at your local glass shop. Those places generally stock or can order lots of neat stuff that ain't glass. They might even have a nice little piece of scrap, oh say, about 12"x12" over in the trash can. Never hurts to ask!

BTW, is 3/8" thick enough for a router plate?

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

There used to be a place across the river in Rockville called Reed Plastics that had all that sort of stuff along with a pretty good scrap pile you could dig through cheap. I have been gone for a while so they might be gone.

Reply to
Greg

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:07:58 -0800, Anonymoose wrote (in message ):

McMasterCarr sells polycarbonate sheets, a generic equivalent to Lexan.

Paul Hays

US Plastics (USPLASTICS.COM) sells almost anything and can get it to you next day. I have placed orders at 5PM on Monday and had them at 10AM on Tuesday. They are normally open on Saturday.

cheers

Doug

Reply to
doug houseman

You have a Woodcraft store over in Springfield. They have it there. At least they did last weekend.

Jim

Reply to
James D. Kountz

hi acme plastics on general Washington drive in Alexandria.It's right off of

95 just before the beltway in the industrial section.
Reply to
leonard

The local woodcraft here also has the black phenolic material, which is a better choice since it's less prone to sag over time. Icouldnt find it in their online catalog tho so this may be just a local thing.

For sag resistance the best is alumnum plate. A 12X12 piece can be had from

for $34.53 plus shipping. A bit more difficult to work but will last a couple of lifetimes.

Reply to
LP

"DexAZ" wrote in news:BgR%b.10956$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I _think_ so. MLCS sells them in 1/4 and 3/8 thicknesses in their "supertuff" material, whatever that is (a clear plastic of some sort).

Reply to
Anonymoose

"CW" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

An actual paper phone book? Do they make those anymore? :-) Netscape yellow pages gives me a lot of results and none that seem promising.

Reply to
Anonymoose

"James D. Kountz" wrote in news:4DT%b.4027$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Excellent, was going over there today anyway.

Reply to
Anonymoose

"leonard" wrote in news:-- snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Cool - that was the only hit that netscape yellow pages returned that looked promising. I think I want a piece bigger than a normal router base so I'll give them a call.

Reply to
Anonymoose

I've always had much better luck with the paper version. In fact I can't think of one time that the online yellow pages gave me a listing that wasn't in the paper version. I know of plenty that went the other way.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I'm not so sure. I recall reading that a lot of plastics will sag over time from the eight of a router. You may want to do a little research first. If you get it cheap enough, it may be worth the experiment, but otherwise you may do as well with a commercial plate.

You may also fnd aluminum plate cheap also. Just get the hole bored and you can easily drill the rest.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try a local SIGN company, they often have scraps of acrylic/lexan/etc

John

Reply to
John Crea