Router lift and plate for building my table

Okay, so I decided (based on encouragement from friends and strangers) to build my own router table. I mean, how BAD could it be? (that'll be yet another story for another day)

The first thing I do is start looking for a phenolic sheet to make my router plate for the table. I found some at the Aircraft Spruce & Specialty company. I planned on using a 3/4" piece so that I could handle the heaviest of routers.

So I find that a 12"x12" 3/4" sheet would cost me $67 ... plus shipping!

Yikes! So I take another look at router plates and find a Jessem Router Lift w/plate (3/4" phenolic) for $135 and free shipping!

So for $65 more, I get the plate, it's cut and ready-drilled for my Bosch 1617, AND I get the Jessem 02302 router lift.

Somedays ... it feels good to spend money!

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Sounds Like the way to go. :-)

For more ideas -- you might want to look here... Table system stuff.

accessories of course.
then you would have to spend more money. :-))

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Yeah, I was looking at their site already. Some great stuff! I'm actually going to try to make the fence myself, but it's nice to have a fallback in case my efforts turn out to be a total disaster.

Jack

WillR wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Now if you want to build a real work-horse that is accurate to .001" take a look at this one

did an article in FWW a few years back on how to build this (he sells them too) and I built it. Great fence and makes a great complement to the Jessem Rout-R-Lift that I coupled it with. One helluva combination. But as Pat will tell you - a 2 by 4 will work also....

Bob S.

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:2qadnbs7 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
BobS

That's exactly the fence I plan on building! I already got the plans for it. It looks like I have the flexibility to easily tweak the design if I don't want all the bells and whistles. After I start work on it, I'll decide how far I want to go with that particular project.

Pat does some amazing work!!!

Jack

BobS wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Why does this provide superior performance to an aluminum plate at $50 to $70?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I have a split fence on my router -- no fancy adjustments -- I just use=20 a ruler and eyeball the difference -- although I could use a feeler=20 gauge... Clearly this one is quite precise.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

I presume it's easier to work with, particularly for a novice like myself. But either way, that's moot now.

As far as a fence goes ... that I'll build myself. It should be fun!

Jack