Wanted: Gypsy pepper seeds - offering trades

I am looking for seeds from a pepper variety called "Gypsy". I need only

6 to 8 seeds, because I want to try this variety out this year on a very limited basis. I'm hoping someone else out there might be trying this variety this year, and be willing to trade a few of their extra seeds away.

Gypsy is a sweet, prolific variety that is supposed to be excellent for fresh use, stuffing or frying. I particularly liked the small cluster of seeds in a large inside cavity - looks great for stuffing. I also like how they appear to go from yellow to orange to red as they ripen - giving you the choice of 3 colors from a single plant.

In trade, I can offer "Sweet Million" tomato seeds, which are an improvement on the older "Sweet 100". I can also offer a few seeds of "Fooled You" hybrid pepper - a virtually 'heat free' jalapeno variety that still has the great taste, but is excellent for those of us who can't stand the hotness.

I also have some new packets of lettuce: "Marvel of Four Seasons", "Lolla Rossa", & "Bibb".

If you might be interested in trying an heirloom variety, I have one that hasn't been sold in catalogs since the 1940's. I got a sample a couple of years ago from the USDA, and raised some. It is a very cold hardy variety called "Ziegler's Heirloom".

Reply to
OhioGuy

Gypsy is available almost everywhere online and costs about $2 a packet. Splurge.

Reply to
Steve

I've already placed my seed order this year, at a place that unfortunately didn't carry Gypsy, but had everything else I wanted. I've also checked locally, but haven't found it.

I have found a few places online that carry Gypsy, but it is $3 a packet or more, plus about $5 in shipping/handling. I just can't bring myself to pay $8 when I only want 2-3 plants total for my garden.

That's why I got on here asking if anyone would be interested in doing a trade. I'd much rather avoid an artificially high shipping/handling cost AND help someone with a trade at the same time. Anyone interested? I grew up doing seed trades all the time, and was hoping that folks on here still did that.

Reply to
OhioGuy

If I had some seeds, I'd send them to you. But "Gypsy" is an F1 hybrid, so it won't come true from seeds. I often save the seeds from hybrids anyway and the offspring is usually good and *resembles* the parent variety, but it's seldom the same.

Just thought I'd warn you about the hybrid thing, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I would check locally a little more. Around here, all the good gardening stores carry Gypsy Pepper seeds. There are not available at places like Wal*Mart, Lowes, or any place like that but I'm sure that if you check the REAL gardening places that you will find them.

By the way, why are you posting from a news server in Italy? The one that you are using is a well known place where "bad" people post from. I'm not saying that you are one of them but every time I see a post from Aioe.org I wonder.

Reply to
Bill R

Bill R wrote in news:47e7c03f$0$17430$ snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com:

my guess would be because it's one of the few free news servers left. better aioe than google groups any day!

lee

Reply to
enigma

Because a person who admittedly allocates only 50=A2 per meal for his family can't afford to give up the equivalent of four meals for seeds.

Reply to
Al Bundy