Are Bell Pepper Seeds Slow To Germinate?

Ten days ago I planted eight Big Bertha bell pepper seeds in peat pellets. I have them in small plastic cups which I placed in a zip lock bag along with a damp piece of sponge. They are also on top of a germination heat mat. So far, I only see 2 seeds that are germinating and just showing through the peat pellets. Is this length of time common for bell pepper seeds?

Rich from PA

Reply to
EVP MAN

Yes, peppers are very slow two germinate. Peppers are also a slow growing plant, at least in Michigan's cooler weather. I usually wait two to three weeks for them to pop up out of the soil.

Reply to
Nad R

3 weeks to germination isn't unusual in my germinator tray with heat pad and grow lights.

Jobs, not Wars

==

Reply to
Billy

This year I placed my pepper germination trays in a second oven we keep in the garage, with the oven light on and door propped open to keep the temp at about 85F (ranged from 80 - 90) and had germination within seven days on all but three of the variaties. The three then came on within a week under lights. I only assume the the 85F ambient air temp was more beneficial than under tray heat

I've had peppers take three weeks+ with undertray heat.

Be patient.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Get rid of the peat pellets and your germ. rate will improve.

Reply to
Gunner