wanted: chive seeds

Anybody have some chive seeds they would be willing to trade? I'd like to start a batch in a planter.

I've got loads of morning glory, plus some Ziegler's Heirloom lettuce that I could offer in trade. If interested, please email me at yahoo.com email fuzzhead72 with "chive seeds" in the subject heading. Thanks!

Reply to
OhioGuy

Chive seeds are common and cheap... would cost at least five times the price of a seed packet than two people would pay postage to accomplish the swap.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Wow - what country do you live in? Seed packets around here are $2 and up for herbs and the like, and if I add a trip to the store, that costs me another buck in gas at least - so $3 minimum.

First class stamp is under 50c.

But anyway, saving a little $ is probably not nearly as important as sharing. That is a lot more fun.

Reply to
OhioGuy

I live in the same area that you do and it sounds like you are doing your seed shopping in the wrong stores. The "dollar stores" like Dollar Tree and Dollar General sell quite a variety of seeds for less than what postage would cost. Just yesterday I notice that Dollar Tree had their "10 for $1" seeds out already (and yes, they did have chives) and Dollar General had their large pack of seeds for "4 for $1". Wal*Mart also has seeds at less than $1 a pack (and they sell the more expensive seeds too). Walgreens always has their "10 for $1" seed coupons in the weekend ad insert.

I have never had any problem with "cheap seeds". They germinate just as well as the expensive seeds and have been true to the what is listed on the pack.

I agree with you that sharing is important but, even in this newsgroup, you need to be careful giving someone your address. You just never know who you are dealing with.

Reply to
Bill R

I've always thought of chives as a perennial. Perhaps you can check with a neighbor and rip out some. Tear into small sections and plant.

Guess you know about Chinese chives?

I like them as they flower late and everything is edible and they attract pollinators and........

Same culture here concerning Garlic_chives tis better to propagate established plants if possible. But if you want a certain plant and you got the time go with the seeds.

Bill who wonders if many folks grow perennials from seed. I layering kind of guy.

Reply to
Bill

Exactly.

I can understand if it's some rare plant, but chives?!?!?

And for home gardens most folks simply buy a farm pack of chive plants for $2... most all herbs are sold as plants rather than seeds. Chives are a perennial herb, they propagate and grow back year after year, they're pretty much maintenance free and are not bothered by disease but they tend to clump and need occasional dividing.

I can see swapping seeds with neighbor gardeners (I've done that on occasion, but usually we just offer them to each other gratis) but packaging and mailing a dollar packet of seed that can be purchased anywhere is just silly. Burpee packages seeds for Walmart... it's the same Burpee packaging but is imprinted with "Packaged For Walmart", they are marked at a greatly reduced price... last spring they were priced at 88¢ each... by mid summer they're marked down to 50% off, by September the left overs were 10¢ each.

I also buy some vegetable seeds in bulk (Agway) scooped from a large burlap sack and sold by weight... the price drops substantially as weight increases, so for seeds like beans and corn I've shopped in partnership with a couple of neighbors. But it's still not enough money saved on a pound of beans to jump through hoops getting folks all together.

Reply to
brooklyn1

I kind of regret planting them. They took over the patch I put them in and have spread to other areas (cracks in concrete, etc.) I now let them duke it out with the oregano.

I started the oregano from seed. Marshmallow, St Johns Wort, Lemon Balm are the others I can think of that actually made it to perennial-hood.

Kate - middle TN where some of the daffodils have started blooming and the crocuses are in full swing.

Reply to
kate

Will check dollar tree tomorrow, thanks!

Reply to
OhioGuy

Dollar Tree in Panorama City, CALIF (91402) still does not have any seed packets. I've been checking every Monday and Thursday. Where else are Dollar Tree now selling seeds 10 for 1$. I'll show your info to the store manager.

Many thanks, Dave_s

Reply to
Dave_S

As with a lot of chain stores, items vary by location (and season). Did your store carry seeds last year? The store manager might be able to check and see if seed are going to be available at his/her store.

Around here (Ohio Valley), almost all the Dollar Tree stores have their seeds out. Depending on seed type and pack size some are $1 a pack (perennials), others are 4 for $1, and they have a large selection (common flowers and vegetables) for 10 for $1.

Other places around here that sell "cheap" seeds are Walgreens (they had a coupon in yesterday's paper for 5 for $1 -- last year they were 10 for $1), Wal*Mart (they have a good variety and some stores do have 10 cent a pack seeds), and Big Lots (varies a lot by store).

Also check your other "Dollar stores" and "discount" stores. Many of them carry seeds.

Reply to
Bill R

All that travel to and fro and machinations to save a few pennies on a seed packet... geeze, yoose guys have way too much idle time.

Reply to
brooklyn1

If they don't have them, check Wal*Mart. I was there yesterday and they have a lot of their garden stuff out. I looked for chive seeds and they had LOTS of them. They were 20 cents a pack. Last year they had them for 10 cents a pack but the ones that they are selling may be a larger size pack, or, like everything else, they just raised the price. I did see some 10 cent a/pack of seeds but all of them were "sell by December

2008" (but no chives).
Reply to
Bill R