Re: gazing balls

Has anyone bought the more expensive

>ones and not had this problem?

I couldn't tell any difference by price. My theory is the daytime high brings in moisture in the warm air that condenses on the inside wall during the overnight low temperature. The moisture seems to cause the ball to peel on the inside. You could keep it in air conditioning and it should last a long time. :)

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

I've got a ball that has the color moded into it, sure it never changes, but it'll last forever, even the desert sun has no effect on it, and I got it for free too. I just make sure the finger holes are down and hindden.

It's a mabled green colored bollowing ball.

-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

Reply to
Starlord

That's so funny! I did that in my garden 15 years ago and friends thought it was silly. Now it's working everywhere. I too have a bowling ball. I copper leafed the surface and it now looks like a blue/green patina copper orb.

They also sell copper balls in...a catalog? I can't recall which. Maybe Tuscano, or Gardener Supply. One of the catalogs have them and they're not too expensive.

Reply to
animaux

I got the idea after seeing a short clip on t.v. that showed a guy who has used them to mark his pathways around his home, driveway,etc and he gets them at second hand stores who want to get rid of them for a few pennys. This one was left behind in a trailer.

-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

Reply to
Starlord

I saw the same show!

Reply to
animaux

BTW, I planted some of those seeds in potting soil in pots last friday and so far the one vine has come up. Hay I've got some vine seeds from Hawaii, one is part of the MG group and has small clusters of lavender flowers and the other is an unknown that has small white flowers BUT has fine hair on it's leaves and vine that seems to keep most bugs off of it. Want a few to try?

-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

Reply to
Starlord

animaux expounded:

So did I, there were other unusual gardens in it too, if I recall.

Reply to
Ann

Yes. If I recall it was the show on HGTV...but a special...oh what's the guys name...John James? I know he pops his head in here from time to time PAUL James. Phew. I still have a marble.

Reply to
animaux

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I have a small one and paid probably $20 for the ball itself, and another $25 for the holder, I've had it 5 years. I usually bring everything in for the winter but it has been left out once or twice in zone 5 Connecticut, looks fine... The holder needs to be painted though :o)

Colleen

Reply to
GrampysGurl

Oh don't say that....he paid alot of money for them,,,,

Reply to
Barbara Yanus

Reply to
animaux

Old_Dodger, I crossposted your question over to a couple of groups where the experts on this subject hang out.

n.

Reply to
North

Lets try this again :-) Note the groups that were added. n.

Reply to
North

Ok, thanks north. I think Alan Connor posted something on this a while ago but I can't seem to find it. We'll see what the other groups can add.

Thanks.

Reply to
old_codger

You might give the yahoogroup "Organic Homesteading Gardening" a try.

for me, I hit the garden supply store when they have their big end of year sale. I buy the regular seed packs (envolopes) and I store them in a jar with a few O2 absorbers the lid sealed tight of course and kept in the dark. After 5 years the seeds still sprout and grow, YMMV. I think the trick for long term seed storage is the same as long term grain storage, where O2 and water are the enemy (alone with light).

I have no clue if the seeds I buy and store are non-hybrid or not and if their seeds will sprout. I just buy enough seed to last 20 or so years, of course I rotate these every chance I get (while we still have places to buy seeds, ect...)

n.

Reply to
North

As long as you keep the seeds dry they will last a long time. I keep mine in a plastic one gallon container in the fridge and have viable seeds that are up to ten years old. You can even freeze them if you seal them in a container, used to keep heirloom field pea seeds that way. I keep all the seeds in the containers in paper envelopes, the smaller batches in el cheapo coin envelopes, the rest in el cheapo small size mailing envelopes. YMMV

George

old_codger wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

Depends on the seed. Some die immediately (... coffee), some can sprout after hundreds of years (... mullein).

What kinds of vegetables and root crops do you like?

You want heirloom seeds. That is, NON-hybrid.

Hybrids, well, they work if you have nothing else, and if you have a steady supply to buy more when what you have is gone, but be aware that hybrid offspring will look nothing much like the parent(s).

Your local garden center / feed store. They'll have types that thrive in YOUR climate.

What you really want is to get a garden going. Then you can see in practice what you're now asking in theory. And the best way to keep seeds, long-term, is on a succession of live plants.

Nothing to do with preserving, so I've removed that bit.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

What do you buy. Just a mix of veggies and grains?

Reply to
old_codger

I do a garden every year but it's just veggies, peppers and the like. No grains.

Reply to
old_codger