Feels like 98° Weather.com says it's 90° out right now

Weather.com says it's 90° out right now, Partly Cloudy

15% chance of rain Wind S 7 mph Humidity 53%

And that it feels like 98°

That seems like a bigger than normal difference and the humidity is 53%, which is not low but not that high.

It doesn't feel like 98 to me.

How do they reach his number?

Reply to
micky

They often give heat index which includes temperature and relative humidity.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Humidex

The Humidex is a Canadian innovation that was first used in 1965. It describes how hot, humid weather feels to the average person. The Humidex combines the temperature and humidity into one number to reflect the perceived temperature. Because it takes into account the two most important factors that affect summer comfort, it can be a better measure of how stifling the air feels than either temperature or humidity alone.

Wed, 11 Aug Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Risk of a thunderstorm. Wind becoming west 20 km/h gusting to 40 in the morning. High 27. Humidex 36. UV index 4 or moderate.

Heat Warning in effect : Humidex values reaching 40 are expected for the next 3 days. Hot and humid conditions continue this week, with high humidex values expected. Daytime temperatures will reach the high twenties to low thirties Wed. and Thur.. These high temperatures will combine with high humidity to result in humidex values near 40 each day. Warm temperatures above 20 degrees each night will provide little relief from the heat. Cooler and less humid air is expected to arrive Friday or by this weekend.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

They look at the chart

Temperature is usually in the shade but my weather station get sun. Right now it is showing 104.

According to the weather service it is 93 deg. 61% and feels like 103. Just walked to the mailbox so I can confirm that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's 99° here at 4:06 PM CDT at 35.87 °N, 92.1 °W - and feels like

109° . Not horrible in the shade , but walk out into the sun and it's positively brutal .
Reply to
Snag

Too bad it is polluting the air of much of the USA with its fires.

Luckily (knock on wood), it is not blowing my way.

Reply to
Bob F

Actually, most of the fires are in Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Montana and Canada, in addition to a relative few in California.

Scott Lurndal

this was from the webpage, but an hour later the rdio said 91, feels like 102. 11 degree difference.

Wow. I never would have come up with that! Amazing.

It says about the formula " If you're really mathematically inclined, there is an equation that gives a very close approximation to the heat index. However, this equation was obtained using a multiple regression analysis, and therefore, it has an error of ±1.3°F."

Reply to
micky

Damn, and I thought this was a thread about culinary delights. I caught a nice mess of eels, cleaned them, and put them in a dish of salt water in the icebox to soak.

My girlfriend came home, opened the reefer, and calmly asked what the frigging hell was in there. She then gave me a choice, the eels or her. That was one more of my many bad decisions.

The clincher was probably when she asked me where I caught them and I said the river. We used to sail on the river and her mother would be waiting on the dock. If you admitted to any contact with the water it was off to the ER for a tetanus shot.

I'll give the old commie his due; Seeger's Clearwater project jump started cleaning the river up.

I've sailed on her out of Albany. Last time I was in Albany they had a riverfront park that was actually nice instead of picnicking by a sewer.

Reply to
rbowman

It's supposed to get up to 93 today, 40% humidity, 59 tonight. Every time I go back east I remember I left my gills in my other pants.

Reply to
rbowman

Sounds like summers in Cleveland. That lake is a bitch with high humidity in the summer and tons of snow in the winter.

Brother in law in Vegas said it was 105. I've been there when it was

105 which feels like 90 in Cleveland.
Reply to
invalid unparseable

Similar change in the Denver area over the years. Winters are so dry now that we are told to water our lawns in January ( this before the current drought conditions)

Reply to
Anonymous

Yes, my childhood was like that too. Once it snowed, it didn't melt until almost spring. This was in New Castle, Pa. between Pittsburgh and Youngstown/Cleveland.

My friends father who still lived there told me 20 years ago it's not like that anymore.

Something like that now. Even in Baltimore, the amount of snow seems to have gone down in the last 35 years.

Reply to
micky

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 16:38:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to digest...

Anything from Publishers Clearing House?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:51:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca posted for all of us to digest...

My father had a box he stored his cigars in called IIRC a Humidex. That was a long time ago.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 19:36:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Yup, they are selling the weather, like any other product.

Reply to
Tekkie©

I recall that being called a humidor.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 13:33:14 -0700, RosemontCrest posted for all of us to digest...

Yes, I recall that too. But my dad always referred to it as a Humidex. Maybe that was a trade name back then IDK. Both are gone now so...

Reply to
Tekkie©

relative humidity. the higher the temperature, the more moisture a given volume of air is able to hold

Reply to
xXmikeSXx

my family has always fished for striped bass... bait of choice: live eel. my grandfather used to keep oxygenated tanks in his garage to keep them. best places to catch live eel: pristine suburban estuaries..or water treatment plants! lollll! but my grandparents were from malta and really knew how to cook good eel..better than the seared eel at the sushi restaurant! i digress. i dont think i could eat anything having to do with the hudson river; too much GE and westinghouse in the water. Long Island isnt exactly the posterchild of clean water, but the constant flushing and southwesterly long shore current definitely saves our butt=]

Reply to
xXmikeSXx