Genie Pro 98

I have a Genie Pro 98 screw drive garage door opener. The door worked fine a few weeks ago, but now it is malfunctioning. It opens fine, but it will not close at all. It does not have the safety sensors (like most doors have) near the floor, so that is not an issue. I have checked all the connections and they look right (I can't find the manual to be 100% sure. I have tried closing it from the remote and the button that is hardwired to the opener. If I manually turn the screw in the back of the opener, it will work fine (up and down). There are two sensors on the door. One is at the top (to stop it from going up anymore). The other is at the front (to stop it from going down). I know the top is working fine because if you push the lever while it is going up, it will stop. The same applies for the front one. The only thing I can think of is that the circuit board inside the door opener is bad. Any ideas?

Reply to
NeoTek

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. What would the relays look like? I opened the box and everything looked like it was connected. If you could open yours as a reference, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Ryan

Reply to
NeoTek

Sounds like a bad motor winding (was quite common on some Genie openers). What happens is the motor winding shorts to the motor housing when it stops in a certain spot. So when you turn the screw by hand you move the motor from that spot & that is why it will run afterwards.

Almost all parts for openers without photo-cells are obsolete so you probably won't find a replacement. You could try moving the up limit (closest to motor head) just a little bit to see if you can keep the motor from stopping in that one spot, but even if it works it will probably only be a temporary solution.

Doordoc

P.S.All the relays are on the circuit board of under the 3 plastic boxes. One is for the up, one for the down, & the third is for the light.

Reply to
doordoc

No, there are no brushes. The power goes from the capacitor directly to the motor winding.

Doordoc

Reply to
doordoc

Hi, I have same type opener in my garage. Never had trouble in 10 years except replacing burnt out bulbs. But lgoic tells me when the limit switch is triggered, it should generate a sgnal to reverse the motor turning direction probably by way of relay. Open the box cover and see if there are relay(s). And see if they trips. I could look at mine if needed. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I removed the back cover and took a look. Looking at it from the back facing the door, right side is basically radio receiver board for remote control, antenna wire comes out of there. Back of motor has magnetic chopper wheel which generates pulse signal when motor is turning(in motion). Left side board has one 14 pin DIP I.C. and 3 sealed PCB type power relays, and small transformer(probably to supply control voltage from

120V, AC). If you're handy, You'd remove that board by removing wiring harness, wires coming from push button swich, limit switches, etc. Check all the discrete components; some transistors, capacitors, resistors, relays plus visual inspection for physical crack or poor solder joints, etc. I am sort of used to trouble-shooting this type of things being a retired EE and life time HAM op. Anything is fixable but at what cost?, LOL. I have all the time in the world fiddling with things. Relays look like little black or blue plastic cubes towards you, I see 3 of them mounted side by side. If a relay is bad, either the coil is open or contacts are burnt out. This type of relays typically have life of ~10,000 cycles. Good luck, Tony, VE6CGX
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, No brushes on this motor? I over looked it. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang