Genie Pro 88 won't close

I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of the opener but that didn't help. WHat should I be aiming fro when I turn this acrew? Should I turn it until the door reaches a certain position? What is that position? Or is there something else I need to adjust. Pls help.

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 334350 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
bhatiap

Does it have an "electric eye?" If yes, there's probably a problem there with blockage or alignment.

Reply to
Sharp Dressed Man

The opener is designed to shut down and reverse if it feels the motor is working too hard to move the door. One reason it might work too hard is if the door hits something or someone. The adjustment you talk about simply sets how sensitive this feature is. All the way in one direction will make it act exactly like you are seeing. All the way the other way should make it plow through almost anything. Try that as a diagnostic, but don't leave it like that as it should stop and reverse if it hits something. Possible reasons it might have changed are need of lubrication or a binding door. The safety feature has no way of knowing *why* the motor is working harder than usual.

Reply to
greenpjs

Do you have the "electric eye" safety system? If so........press & hold the wall switch. If the door closes completely, the electric eye system has a problem. Dirty lens, bad connection, poor alignment, etc

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Not sure on the 88 - but I think you have current sense on the drive head, and limit switches on the track. If so, you want the downforce adjustment st to MAX.

Reply to
clare

bhatiap had written this in response to

: Thank you all for the replies. My garage door opener doesn't have any eye to detect any obstruction. I tried adjusting the screw at the back and I can now get the door to close when the door is only about 2/3rds open (open just enough to let my Toyota Camry go through). If I open it all the way then it doesn't close. It seems that it can't get over the bend. Will try to lubricate and see if it helps. I can see grease on the sping in the center but do I also need to apply some sort of grease/oil on the track where the door wheels sit?

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 334454 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
bhatiap

Flip the lever that disconnects the door from the opener and try the door by hand to see if it feels right.

Reply to
greenpjs

First disconnect the door from the opener by pulling the emergency rope, then move the door manually through its entire range. It should be balanced well enough that you can move it all the way up and down with only a few fingers.

If it doesn't move easily, it needs to be rebalanced. If your door is balanced, it's unusual. Most doors are _way_ off. They start off balanced, but nobody has the door guy come out every year for a tune-up. The opener works harder and harder as time goes on, until the load is just too big to handle. That's when your problem appears.

You can find web sites that will walk you through the tuning process. Most of it is pretty straightforward, like getting the tracks straight and oiling the rollers, but the springs can be a bear. They can take off your head if they let go at just the right time. I've had them make holes in walls--nasty ones. (I don't mess with springs any more.)

As for oiling, get a spray can of lubricant that's designed for garage doors. You put it only on the rollers and other moving parts, not the track.

Reply to
SteveBell

I'm having the similar problem. The door works freely. I have no safety sensors but it's as though the safety sensor is keeping the door from closing. the problem was intermittent but happens all the time now. The door opens fine but will not close at any position. I have checked the grounds and I've made sure the stop switches are not shorted or open and are working properly. I'm thinking the circuit board is bad as I just replaced the bad transformer. Opener worked fine for about a month after the transformer.

Reply to
korey3448

Did you google for the brand and repair video? When the door reverses it's usually the eye sensors, but you don't have those. Next on the list, I think there was some kind of wheel that spins on the end of the gears and a sensor that it uses to tell if the door has abruptly stopped. That can be loose, broken, etc. At least some makes have that. There is also a downforce sensor, which if set too low could cause a problem. You said the door moves freely, which I assume includes that it's close to balanced, doesn't take much force to lower it.

Reply to
trader_4