Where to buy 15 ft 3.5" OD pole?

"Ken Finney" wrote

The polar mounts for these

A weld on bell reducer and a pup of pipe would do it if the reduction was needed at the end of the pipe. If it were needed in the middle, then the cost of the pipe would be even cheaper for a 3" OD pipe.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

< snip >

C Band TVRO is TOTALLY different than DBS satellite TV. DBS (Dish, DirecTV) is a prepacked set of channels designed to appeal to the largest audience. C Band is a totally different beast; you get to decide which of the hundreds (when you include audio services, thousands) of channels to watch (listen) to. DBS didn't, and never could, replace C Band. For the "average" person, DBS is the right answer. But then again, the average person doesn't machine metal, either.

Reply to
Ken Finney

According to Ken Finney :

Metal suppliers tend to charge by the pound because it's a standard commodity item, and the shape doesn't matter much. 3" sched 40 is 7.6 pounds/foot.

At the place I like going (it's not a HUGE industrial supplier, but it definately isn't a consumer boutique either ;-) I was last paying about $1CDN/pound. Couple of dollars per cut if they bother charging.

A friend of mine built a 12' dish mount with some 3" (for a radio telescope) for a mount.

Should be plenty strong. Just wasn't quite so sure of the welds on the diagonal bracing (it's bolted on top of a concrete slab, instead of embedded)..

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to William Brown :

It's an idea, however, the antennas that radio operators use tend not to be large relatively flat surfaces.

The dish may be perforated, but it doesn't matter. I don't remember the exact number, but it's something like any dish made with perforations smaller than about 1" is darn close to equivalent to unperforated sheet metal w.r.t. wind pressure calculations.

The perforations save weight, not wind pressure.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to William Brown :

It's an idea, however, the antennas that radio operators use tend not to be large relatively flat surfaces.

The dish may be perforated, but it doesn't matter. I don't remember the exact number, but it's something like any dish made with perforations smaller than about 1" is darn close to equivalent to unperforated sheet metal w.r.t. wind pressure calculations.

Even if it's made out of wire screen and the actual metal surface area is really low.

The perforations save weight, not wind pressure.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

This is Turtle.

You need to call the scrape metal places and ask for 2" or 3" Drill stimb used on oil well drilling. They should get a lot of it for they can only use it so many times before the just dump it and buy new. This stuff will not bend or break no matter what you do to it. To get the size right buy you a 3" or 2" to a

3.5" reducer and weld it on the end to fit your 3.5" dish adapter.

I can't believe a scrape metal company don't have 3" Schuale 40 or 80 pipe ! Angle iron and iron pipe is their biggest items they deal with. Maybe it's the

3.5" pipe they don't have but 3" is a common pipe they get.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

C band performance during rain fade, or for receiving satellites near the ends of the visible arc. A 6 footer just won't cut it in those cases, you need the greater gain.

While lots of people just subscribe to the packaged Ku band DBS feeds (DirecTV, Dish Network, etc) which only require a fixed 18 inch dish, there's much more out there to be found on C band (also a lot to be found on Ku band that an 18 inch dish won't pick up). I can receive raw back haul feeds from news and sporting events, foreign TV from European satellites low on my horizon, some commercial, government, and military closed circuit feeds, etc.

Much of it isn't interesting, some is. One of my favorite TV shows comes from TV Dubai. It is in Arabic, so I don't understand what they say, but I know what it is. I've dubbed it Arabian Bandstand because it is a direct ripoff of the old American Bandstand show. The host even resembles Dick Clark, with a moustache. They play older American rock and roll, with the lyrics redubbed in Arabic. It is a hoot.

I used my bigger dish to follow the Clementine probe to the Moon. I was getting the raw data same as NASA was. That was cool, and once I whipped up some decoding software, allowed me to crosscheck what they were posting on the web about what it was discovering.

Even my bigger dish can't receive the signals from the Mars rovers, but technical advances, and the higher power missions planned for the future, should one day make signals from Mars receivable on my setup. (I did follow Mars Express out to 4 million miles before I lost the signal.)

I suppose the real answer to why a large dish is *because I can*. In a way it is like, why listen to shortwave radio? There are a lot more voices out there than just the formula pap fed to us here.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

This is Turtle.

A 12' joint of Sch. 40 -- 3.5" pipe would cost $135.00+ ----- WOW !!!!! That is what the samething cost Retail / New but in 404 Stainless Steel.

They are proud of their joints.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Extremely expensive!!! It can be had for less than half that price. I've not bought pipe in months but I paid that for 20". Steel has jumped recently though.

It is possible to buy used pipe that is in good condition. I'd also ask around at a couple of weld shops.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Say what?

I can only imagine that you meant 304, not 404, but if you can find stainless (pipe) at the price you quoted, if I were you, I'd buy it up and make a cool profit reselling it. . Do keep in mind that pipe is not normally sold in 12' lengths.

Now if you're talking about "joints", a subject about which I know nothing, maybe you're right.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Following up on my own post. $10 a foot is a good price today. It has been going up over the summer. I just called my supplier and he expects it to be upwards of $15 a foot soon. Some mills will not even quote a price until time of shipment because it has been changing so fast.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is Turtle

If you want it to shine Smooth finish and looks pretty you use the 300 series and if you don't care about it looking pretty you use 404 industrial grade Stainless Steel Pipe. 404 has a ruff finish and sometime off color in gray looking colors. You usely will paint the 404 to make it look pretty in the oil industry. For the shinny smooth finish you pay dearly for it. years ago it sold for about $90.00 for a 20 foot joint of 3.5" Sch. 40. It must have went up in the last 15 years and could be up to $150.00 to $170.00 a 20 foot joint. These prices was for Oil field work and not for a hardware store to sell. If you request the 300 series smooth and pretty this joint would run you maybe $300.00 to $400.00. The oil Industry buys ruff ugly pipe and cheap and not shinny and pretty.

When you say a joint of pipe. The slang words for this is a joint of pipe is any length over 10 feet that you want to refer to it as talking about it.

All pipe like this is sold in 10 feet joints, 20 feet joints, and rolls of a half miles. 10 feet and half mile rolls are rare and most everything is sold in

20 feet joints. The half mile rolls are used on pipe line laying from big spools off Catapillar skid and can lay a 1/2 mile of pipe before they have to make a weld. A bought the only way to transport it is by ships or railroad for the spool is about 30 feet high and 20 feet wide. It is also used a lot in the Gulf of Mexico where they can supply it to the pipe laying equipment and not have a transporting problem. Now I have been told they have longer spools for the Gulf work and can get 2 or 3 miles on spools to lay in the Gulf.

The public buys the 300 series and the industrial works buys the 400 and 600 series for their use. Also the Industrial people buy sometimes 50 to 100 miles of pipe and they get discounts out of this world.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote

Unless, of course, you are referring to a joint of drill pipe. In that case, they are random lengths, IIRC, from 39 to 44 feet each, and I don't know why they are uneven lengths. I have sent many hundreds of miles of it up to the drill floor through the V door.

Perhaps Turtle knows the answer to the why of the uneven lengths.....

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hey Turtle!

Things in the oil industry must be far different from those in the manufacturing industries. There are no 400 series pipe types listed (Jorgensen stock list, 1988) which doesn't surprise me in the least. 400 series stainless is a straight chromium stainless (no nickel), unlike the

300 series. The 400 series is heat treatable, which could present particular problems when (field) welded.

Pipe and tubing are available in 304, 316, 321 and 347 only, according to Jorgensen.

I can't help but wonder if the 404 designation pertains to oil field jargon, not to the alloy from which the pipe is made. Comments?

Thanks for the explanation of "joint". Again, likely an oil field term, certainly nothing ever used where I worked, but then we didn't specialize in pipe, either.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

High kelly and a dull bit Same old driller and the same old shit.

And I dont know why they come in random lengths either..though Ive made enough trips to see several thousand miles of drill stem, and measured every single last joint of it.

Gunner

"This phenomena occurs in many voting precincts, especially near Chicago. Democrat voters are so loyal in some areas that they continue to vote for decades after their deaths. Since most of these deceased Democrats surely vote from Hell, this leads one to wonder about the accommodations made between the Democrat National Party and The Devil. Perhaps this is best reflected in the hook nosed, pointy eared, Herman Munster looking candidate the Democrats choose to run for President this year." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

This is Turtle.

The 404 stuff is a lot of times put together with what they call a Zapota Lock joint. You don't weld it but a big machine will push one end into the other with a socket joint in it and there is a ring that snaps into place. It take about

20,000 + pound of pressure to push the pipe into the other. When it comes to the ring it will make a noise like a 22 rifle going off when it snaps into place. this might what ytou say is the story to use this Zapota Locking joints .

I use to work in the oil field and everytime it had the 404 or the 606 on it. It would say on the pipe : [ Inland Steel Pipe - SS-404 ] or 606. It may be their code or rating of the pipes and valves. This 404 stuff was very good for Acid plants where they flowed highly corrisive stuff through it. The Shell Oil Refinery in Channel View , Texas used a lot of this stuff in their Battery Acid refining section.

You got me wondering about the 404 business .

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

For the first 1 to 2 mile of drill pipe put in the hole you can use the 44 foot joints. then after that you had to go to the 39 foot joints because of the main rotor putting so much tork on the drill pipe. They had 1,000+ horse power D.C. electric motor turning the rotor and they can twist it off if it hit a rock formation or hard spot.

Any Man that has ever looked down through a V Door while working, you don't have to tell him about hard work or how it is. Did you ever get use to that safety belt tied on your ass ?

Are you still a member of the InternationBrother Hood of Oil Field Trash ? I give up my membership about 15 years ago and I still is getting calls from the Membership about a Cook up that is going on.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Yep, me too! The 606, too. Neither of those terms show up in the stock book. If you learn more, or I do, lets post it for those that have an interest.

Be cool,

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I got a couple of buckles, but never officially joined. I thought it was just a loose informal brotherhood of oilfield workers who wanted a title.

They have cook outs?

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

This is Turtle.

Once a Oil field Trash --- Alway Oil Field Trash till you die. Most all Oil field Trash turn into people like Jeff Foxworthy and start to make good money. A lot of Jeff's thinking on jokes come from older oil field trash members.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE