Advice to fix a $100 Ryobi pole saw 8" chain saw (stripped adjustment threads)

Here is a picture from a few months ago, before this Home Depot Ryobi electric 8-inch chain saw (pole saw, pole pruner) broke:

We had used it on chapparal and on a treehouse limbing project:

We think we stripped the screw insert hole as the chain won't stay and the tightening screw spins loosely now:

Do you think that might be covered by the 3-year warranty? If not ... Any suggestions for getting an exploded diagram of the parts?

Note: I'm not the owner, so, I don't have the model number of the saw offhand; I'm just trying to help the owner who is inclined to just throw it away for want of a screw thread...

The model is probably this $100 6-amp 8-inch pole saw:

If so, the model number is RY43160A.

Googling, I find it has a 3-year warranty and it is only a few months old, so that's a good start.

I think here is a manual:

Is "ereplacement parts" reputable?

Does this look like the chain adjustment assembly:

Danny D.

*I think that you should contact Ryobi, especially if there is a warranty involved. if the owner wants to throw it away, have him toss it in your direction and you fix it for yourself.
Reply to
John G

I see that you found the manual, from Ryobi itself. If you look at that, it might give you enough idea of how it is assembled.

I have a similar saw, bigger**, but a name brand I forget. It hasn't got many parts and it's pretty simple and an exploded view is probably not needed. Just pay attention when disassembling and arrange the parts you remove in the order yo've taken the off. All of them face down or face up, in case that turns out to matter.

I borrowed a pole saw and, surprise, it was the same brand as mine, just smaller, and it came in two pieces, the saw and a long pole handle, and turned out my saw could fit on the handle where his went. So in theory I'd only have to buy a handle, except mine is bigger and so heavy it might be hard to use. I sawed everything I needed to saw so it's not an issue yet.

Reply to
micky

And rather than have your friend ship the whole saw back, Ryobi might just send the broken part. Cheaper for them, cheaper and easier for you, and just as easy to verify it's within the warranty period as it would be if you shipped them the whole thing. If they're sticklers, they might want a picture of the serial number and the whole saw, but I'd be surprised.

Reply to
micky

Oren wrote, on Tue, 17 Feb 2015 09:34:28 -0800:

Hi Oren,

To help out, I sent your helpful post to my neighbor, and then I visited him, to snap a picture of it.

It's a Ryobi Model Model P4360:

I wonder if a stripped hold-down bolt is warrantable? I'll call Ryobi tomorrow at 800-860-4050 to find out.

He showed me a bag of parts, where, apparently, he broke the Jesus clip trying to get it off with a screwdriver:

Meanwhile, I'm dealing with my own chainsaw (which may as well be a separate thread) ...

Reply to
Danny D.

micky wrote, on Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:37:49 -0500:

I found the parts diagram for the Ryobi P4360, which shows the circlip, the bolt, and the threads (which, surprisingly, turn out to be a simple M6 hex nut, I think).

Clearly this part #2 is the circlip (they call it 099988002022 Retaining Ring):

And, just as clearly, this part #6 is the hold-down bolt: Part number: 099988002021 Bolt w/Washer (M6 x 25 mm, Hex Soc. Hd.)

But, I'm having trouble identifying the female end for that hold-down bolt.

I think it is probably part #24 in that same document:

099988002007 Hex Nut (M6)

The weird thing is that it's hard to strip a steel hex nut, so, I wonder if the holder of the nut is allowing the nut to spin freely???

Reply to
Danny D.

micky wrote, on Wed, 18 Feb 2015 05:40:26 -0500:

Judging from the exploded diagram, the "broken part" is part #24, in this diagram, which is just an M6 hex nut.

099988002007 Hex Nut (M6)

The strange thing is that the hold-down bolt just spins freely; but, I can't imagine a hex nut stripping that easily. Maybe it's spinning in place? Dunno.

Reply to
Danny D.

My experience with warranty service on Ryobi powerheads is that regardless of how trivial the repair might be they just ship a new retail unit as replacement. This involved taking the broken units to an authorized service center. YMMV because sometimes these places take warranty repairs as some sort of personal insult.

Fake ID

Made in China quality? Who can tell, now days.

My other thought is that the stud is molded into plastic case. The owner may have over wrenched, and now the stud is turning in the plastic mold. No experience with Ryobi products, just a guess.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:08:50 -0500:

Between you and me, the Ryobi 3-year warranty stinks, but Home Depot seems like they'll make good anyway.

I called Ryobi, at 800-860-4050, using this model P4360 diagram:

I explained the broken parts: NUT: #24, P/N 099988002007, Hex Nut (M6), $0.83 BOLT: #6, P/N 099988002021 Bolt w/Washer (M6 x 25 mm, Hex Soc. Hd., $0.83 RING: #2, P/N 099988002022, Retaining Ring, $0.83

They told me I could order them (plus $6 S&H) from their parts guys: Ryobi Parts 800.848.8946 (Gardener), Visa/MC/Discover only

But, I'm not so sure that the nut is stripped. It might be whatever plastic is holding the nut from spinning.

So, I called Ryobi Tech at Ryobi Tech 800-860-4050x2x2, who is researching what holds the nut in place.

Meanwhile, I called the Home Depot, which said that anything under 90 days they'll just replace, and if it's over 90 days, they'll give a store credit.

Ryobi says that they can charge for the warranty service, which would, for a $100 pole saw, probably be prohibitive.

Reply to
Danny D.