What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

The problem is with the word THERAPY, not genetic.

Reply to
John

For diagnostic debug, I still have a little light in my tuneup toolkit that plugs into the fuel injectors of my first FI vehicle, a Nissan 300Z, and which literally blinks when it receives the pulse telling the fuel injector to inject.

It took my feeble little brain a few re-reads of the manual to realize that they don't normally inject fuel into the cylinders but into the manifold.

I'm sure some vehicles actually inject fuel into the cylinders, but not many right?

Also in that tuneup kit is a dial gauge with a pin sticking out which screws onto the spark plug hole so that you can turn the crankshaft to the precise number of millimeters before top dead center on the upstroke to set the timing for when the points buzzer should stop buzzing incessantly.

Again, my feeble little brain had to figure out the upstroke versus the downstroke by the pressure pulse coming out of the spark plug opening before I screwed in the dial gauge.

Reply to
knuttle

Rod Speed,

Why do you always play your silly games with word semantics such that you create your own personal definition of what "therapy" means but only to you?

Now that you can't deny that mRNA is genetic material, you are playing you silly little games about what the treatment of the disease should be called.

Since you're too stupid to even look up usage examples, I'll do it for you.

in use: "a course of antibiotic therapy"

Reply to
knuttle

or 7/16 UNF

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I meant the compression upstroke versus the exhaust upstroke.

Reply to
knuttle

The temporary wheel holders I've seen aren't even threaded. And they're longer but thinner than the lug bolts are. If I remember correctly they're called "pins" but I could be wrong.

Reply to
knuttle

As I recall from the 70's, I repaired the broken LH studs by punching the snapped ones out and then inserting the new threaded studs from behind the hub and just tightening the suitable nuts on them until they set themselves in place.

I don't remember if the lug nuts were capped but if they were I would have used a regular open nut instead. (Don't remember if the Dodge/Chrysler lug nuts were capped or open but most lug nuts appear to be capped aren't they?)

Reply to
knuttle

Absolutely not.

The Bakers weren't the first or only EVs but have the distinction of being driven by Edison and both Taft's and Wilson's wives. The early

1900's were the perfect time for electric cars. They were a lot faster than a horse and carriage and range wasn't too important considering there wasn't much in the way of passable roads outside the city. Unlike the Stanley Steamer and hand cranked gasoline cars they were plug and play.

I think 2018 was the first year for the Porsche Cayenne hybrid as they circled back to the beginning. It is a plugin rather than a straight hybrid.

Even some of the battery technology isn't ground breaking:

Junger had problems with the nickle-iron batteries but Edison perfected it and some of the Bakers used his batteries. Compared to lead acid, they last forever. They're still around:

They certainly won't replace lithium-ion batteries because of the power density, but the jury is still out on lithium battery effective lifetime.

One big difference is in the early 1900's the switch to IC power came about when it made more sense not because of governmental mandates and subsidization.

Reply to
rbowman

You're forgetting Diesel engines. So that would probably be anything over a one ton truck, Mercedes cars, and farm equipment like tractors and combines. A good share of irrigation power units are also diesels with direct injection.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You got that right Arlen Nut-All. You wasted your time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Plonk.

Reply to
knuttle

Lifetime on the handtools, 90 days on everything else supposedly. I did return a drill press vise and got my money back with no problem. It was so bad the jaws weren't even parallel. I just fixed a floor jack and air compressor and got on with life. I avoid anything with a lot of moving parts. The pop rivet and wire terminal assortments are hard to screw up and the bungees aren't bad.

Sadly, the stuff at the tractor supply store isn't much better and Ace is caveat emptor too. That goes for a lot of things where cheap Chinese imports give the consumer the illusion of prosperity. It's mostly woodworking but you can find quality tools at Garrett Wade. Of course a small table vise is $105 versus the $23 non-functional HF crap.

What really bugs me about cheap stuff is it looks like the real thing, probably requires almost as much work as the real thing, but is crap. I like those Photon Micro Lights and ordered some from Amazon. Some but not all were knockoffs. They worked but the LED was off color, the fasteners had crude Philips heads, and the battery was some no-name deal. Still, they had to mold the housings and assemble them. How much more would a decent LED, battery, and 4 tiny screws cost?

I contacted Amazon. They told me to keep them, reversed the charges, and kicked that seller off the board but new ones keep springing up.

Reply to
rbowman

knuttle <keith snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote

Words matter with rigorous science.

Even sillier than you usually manage and that?s saying something.

Reply to
John

Exactly, at least has far as the punching out the old from the front and inserting the new from the back (like I said earlier, twice) - except in cases where there isn't room behind the hub to do either. That's when you need to cut the old stud shorter before pounding it out and then grind a section off the head of the new stud to get it past the obstruction.

As far as just using a lug nut to seat the new stud, sometimes a spacer (e.g. a socket) is required because of situations like below where the non-threaded portion of the stud extends past the face of the hub. If the lug nut can't bear against the face of the hub, it can't fully seat the stud.

Marilyn Manson

Sheese, I get plonked for being honest. Not fair!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Religion. Real shame those people can't separate religion from politics. You'd think that they'd be smarter. Once you allow a god to tell you what you should do all limits are off.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Handy hint: Carrying a small floor jack make it a lot easier to put on chains.

I drove home from my office up Los Robles and east on Orange Grove. there was an actual snowdrift at that corner.

FWIW I skied up at Snow Valley a week ago. Cloudy, flat light. Miserable experience. I'd forgotten just how bad it is when you can't see the snow even on easy slopes. Snow coming down for several days now, and nice weather is expected after the holidays. Yay.

Reply to
The Real Bev

It is special, but people should figure out GOOD places to do it. I'm annoyed by people who pull off on 330/18 to frolic. There are only a few places where that's even legal, much less safe, but people do it anyway.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I love Channellocks, but I used to call them water-pump pliers because that's what a pro mech called them. The smallest ones I have are only

3" long and the channel (not a channel, just four attached holes) is kind of worn away so it won't hold against anything really tough, but I just bought it for its cuteness.

We have CROWFOOT wrenches, but we've never used them. When they're dirt cheap at yard sales you buy everything even if you can't figure out what you'll use it for.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Bumps on the soles of boots are called "lugs".

That would be a "hole".

Reply to
The Real Bev