Update on cleaning 3 more toilets of brown streaks using HCl (pool acid)

What's with this creepy fascination and constant use of muriatic acid? Its like a kid with a new toy...what's next?

Reply to
Roy

It is not a fascination; it's a DIY solution to a cleaning problem.

You can clean 'this' by brushing and scrubbing by hand.

Or you can just pour something on it to clean it automatically.

Your choice.

Reply to
Danny D

It is not a fascination; it's a DIY solution to a cleaning problem.

You can clean 'this' by brushing and scrubbing by hand.

Or you can just pour something on it to clean it automatically.

Your choice.

Reply to
Danny D

Hmm, I scored that the other way. Danny has a new toy and is looking for a place to use it.

Reply to
krw

If you have, or anyone else has, a *better* way to clean the toilet of the brown stains, and to rid the pool pump of the white crud, then that's what this newsgroup is all about.

Reply to
Danny D

BTW, while working the plumbing, I anticipated having to heat up the pipes to loosen the glue in the pump inlets.

In the end, I didn't need the heat ... but I found out my

40-year old all-brass propane burner tip is clogged.

Do you guys clean these with solvents? Which ones? Or do you disassemble and clean with brushes?

Reply to
Danny D

I've never had one so crusty I needed atomic weapons to clean it, no. Simple cleaning supplies intended for the job are much safer and effective. I'd rather not risk my lungs for mundane chores like that.

That wasn't the point, though. You found a hammer and now everything looks like a nail. The problem is that it's a dangerous hammer and you don't even seem to treat it with the respect it deserves. Not a good thing to advocate to others.

Reply to
krw

In a way, that's true and not true.

Of course, I've been using the same acid for years in the pool (how else do you think I balanced the pH?) ... so it's really not a *new* toy, per se.

It's just the same old toy, with new uses!

Many thanks to Oren, mostly, for suggesting acid in the first place (for the rust-colored cootie stains in the toilet).

Let me tell you, from experience, NOTHING suggested in that long toilet thread worked anywhere nearly as well as the acid did. So, I'm a believer. And, the best news was I had the acid all along, so I didn't have to buy anything else.

Reply to
Danny D

You're suggesting that you have experience with it, yet you treat it like soda pop. You *will* kill yourself one day.

Oren isn't completely clueless.

Nothing is as dangerous in careless hands, either.

Reply to
krw

Your mistake is even trying. It's far better to go with the flow. After I figured out that there was nothing understandable, life became much better (42 years experience ;).

Reply to
krw