Shame on CBS !

That's the fake noose;}

Reply to
Frank

Report it? I'd guess that many of the crew in those garages just looked and it and laughed. They are saying it goes back to at least October but could have been there for years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Typical leftist intentional misunderstanding of what was said ... lynching of cattle/horse/whatever thieves was quite common out in the Wild Wild West - where law enforcement was spotty if present at all . If y'all get your way with disbanding police departments I expect a resurgence .

Reply to
Snag

For most people who grew up in the 50s, that is a symbol for cattle rustlers and murderers, not black people. I grew up in mixed race neighborhoods in DC and nobody ever made that connection.

Reply to
gfretwell

There are plenty of garages, I agree and I have to believe more than Woods, the team that had it in October, used that garage in the 9 months between October and June. Maybe I am wrong. That is why I asked if Talladega only has 2 racing events a year (the NASCAR ones). It is possible the person who put that knot on the pull wasn't even NASCAR. You do ask a reasonable question tho. Is the only reason why that was a problem was because Wallace was assigned that garage? I doubt anyone is going to say so now but that might have been there for years. As I said before, I am not saying that is an appropriate door pull, for a number of reasons but I doubt a Monkey Fist would have been accepted either. The reality is, with a slight modification to that knot, you eliminate the loop and end up with a fairly appropriate pull. Being an old sailor, I would have put an eye splice in the line. Would that be OK with the PC police?

Reply to
gfretwell

Depends on where in the USA you grew up. Bet it wasn’t for blacks in the worst of the south with the lynching of blacks who got a bit uppity.

Something Ike turned a blind eye to. Not clear why he did that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not years, just in October or since then. The NASCAR rep says it wasn't there at the beginning of the October event but it was there now, after the garage was assigned to Wallace's team, so someone tied it up between then and now. They make it seem like no one used the garage in the meantime but AFAIK they haven't come out and said so directly. It's possible that someone used the garage during that period in between and thought nothing of it.

To most of us white people, a noose isn't that big of a deal, but to most black people it's a straight on death threat, about as real as it gets.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Typical whataboutism. Forget the horse thieves. We're talking about the dirty south, where black men got lynched for looking at a white woman, or in some cases, for being accused of looking at a white woman. That's a totally different deal.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

For most black people who were around in the 50s and 60s, a noose was a death threat, and far too often it was more than that. For many, it was actual death, as in lynching. Most people, not just black people, know that about our country's history. Especially people who lived in the south. I'm betting you know it, too, but it's uncomfortable.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

NASCAR rep states it wasn't there at the beginning of the October event, so it was put in place between then and now.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The FBI said they had evidence it was there in October. I think that is the drive by video that passed for the best evidence that was released to the public until this last clear picture.

I suppose it was in Nascar's best interest to try to minimize their acknowledgement of when it got there.

Right up there with Mrs Butterworth I suppose.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is just strange to me that the symbolism only surfaced in the last few years. I spent most of my life in DC around black people and I didn't hear this until fairly recently. Maybe they were just Northerners who didn't understand. We didn't have a lot of lynching in DC. If a black person died, a black person usually killed them, much like it is now. The black guys I knew at IBM were as afraid of thugs as me, maybe more.

Reply to
gfretwell

Do you believe NASCAR or 15 FBI agents who investigated this? I imagine we spent $50,000 or more for a piece of macrame.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is supposed to be it:

Dean Hoffman

I don't know what that means but I'm guessing it's something stupid.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The last 70 years, you mean.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

We don't need to consider that question until those two parties start to tell a different story.

Come on, that's just stupid.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Mrs Butterworth may have killed more black people that nooses ever did.

Reply to
rbowman

MOST hangings in the west were "judicial". "public hangings" were usually justice being meted out by the local sherrif or "lawman" - official or not

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If you had grown up in Dixie the connection would have been obvious - even to you. White hoods, burning crosses, and nooses in trees.

Reply to
Clare Snyder