Need new Radar Detector recommendations

Hi All,

My radar detector gave out (Beltronics RX65) so I need a new one.

I am looking at Amazon reviews and they say Beltronics doesn't honor their warrantees and that the units don't work in Texas heat.

Any one have a favorite model that will work in 100F heat and that won't break the bank?

The Revenuers around these parts use Ka band.

Many thanks,

-T

No AC in the car? How well do they work with the instant on laser guns? I've not used a detector for years because the early versions were useless around here so I watch my speed until I get to the state line.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Local LEOs are using speed measuring equipment that is so fast and stealth, by the time a scofflaw motorist is alerted by their detector, the LEO's device is printing the ticket.

Reply to
Sam Ple

Per Sam Ple:

It's probably different in the low-population-density areas like parts of Texas..... but, after a brief flirtation with radar detectors, I found it much less stressful to just move with the flow of traffic: mostly right land w/cruise set to lane speed. ..... Left lane to pass.... speed up to lane speed, pass, and then pull back in .... or, above a certain traffic density, just stay in the lane and maintain lane speed.

The safest position seems to be at the rear of a pack..... When I'm there, and I see somebody closing, I always move over before they have to slow down (German Autobahn rules).... and think of that guy as taking the point for me.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Air conditioner? Yes, I have one.

My old one seems to do all right on laser

I set my cruise control to 3 miles under posted. I use the detector for when the postings are ridiculous (speed traps). I do my damnedest not to be part of their revenue stream, but they are tricky too. It is all about steeling your day's wages.

There are several identical roads around here with different postings. One road goes from 25 to 35 to 45 back to 35 back to

45 down to 25. If you are watching your driving, it is easy to miss the signs. And, if you don't want your days wages taken from you by a gun and badge, you drive 24 on every part of the road. Yes, I pull over A LOT.

Another two roads are set at 45. Identical roads all around them are set to 55. It is extremely easy to get robbed if you were use to driving the speed limit on the other roads and yo don't reset the speed control. That is were the radar detector comes in.

Sometimes when the detector goes off, I just pull over and wait for the danger (highway robbers) to pass.

I have let the county commissioners know what I think of turning such fine young men that are suppose to protect us into robbers. And it is not the cops (turned robber's) fault. They are doing what some SLEAZE BAG politician told them to.

If you need more money, go to the tax payer and make your pitch for higher taxes. If the tax payer says "no", then learn to live within your means. Don't turn our cops into highway robbers.

The LEO's Ka band shows up like a soar thumb.

1+

Ha! I can pull over five times. (I call it playing "pull over". It is okay, I like to be by myself on the road. It is safer). I can have 20 cars BLAST past me so fast my car shakes. I GET THE TICKET !!!!!!!!!

My father and my father-in-law were the WORST two drivers I have ever know in my entire life. My father-in-law's nickname from his screeching tires was "old reckless". NEITHER ONE OF THEM EVER GOT A SINGLE TICKET IN THEIR ENTIRE LIVES !!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cars need an optical character recognition device to read speed limit signs. The cars computer could then generate an audible warning if you're speeding.

Or maybe there's already an app for that?

Reply to
Barney Fife

I just bump the cruise control when I get to the speed limit even on some of the longer stretches here in town. Seems it wouldn't be all that difficult to sync the GPS to the speed limits and give us an option to stay with the speed limits. Whatever, they can ride my bumper or go around. Age does funny things to a fellow. I said I wasn't going to ever drive like that old fart in front of me when I was young.... but here I am and sure enough.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

My Garmin Nuvi gps shows speed limit and speed will change color if you exceed it. Car gps's and phone aps may also do this, and who knows, may even speak up that you are speeding.

Reply to
Frank

Mentioned that my GPS shows speed limits and when they are exceeded. I've also reached the old fart stage and if guys at my rear bumper want me to exceed it, they will have to push me.

Reply to
Frank

Wow that's a lot of froth over a speeding ticket. I consider it more of a stupid tax as opposed to "steeling". If you are stupid enough to speed, then you pay the tax.

Don't speed, don't get a ticket, it's pretty damn simple.

Reply to
Idlehands

I agree...

this is policing for revenue and is one of the things that needs to change in this country to repair the relationship between citizens and LEO.

makolber

IF I ever have to get on the highway, I get in the slow lane, which isn't always the one to the far right, and let the traffic go speed past me on either lane. Some people are nuts, though, and just tailgate you so you'll move and they can be one car ahead in your lane despite all other lanes being open for them to go around. IF you don't move when they want you to, sometimes, they even dart around you and nearly hit you. People get nuts behind the wheel!

Reply to
Muggles

Yep, the world was my race track when I was young. I would seek out secluded back roads that I could drive as fast as I wanted. :)

The last 25-30 years I just haven't been in a hurry anymore. The difference between speeding and taking my time is usually less than 10 minutes for most destinations.

I used to be that guy who would weave in and out of lanes trying to get one car length ahead on my way to work. At some point I realized I wasn't getting anywhere and it just wasn't worth the stress or increased risk of accidents to myself or others. Now I just pick a lane, relax, and take my time. Safer, far less stress, and I arrive at my destination at nearly the same time. (I think Mythbusters did an episode on that once).

I can never understand the people who get so close and ride my bumper. They're trying to push me down the road, but it makes me nervous so I tend to drive slower so I can keep an eye on them and minimize the impact if they do hit me. Ironically, if they would back off a bit, I would drive faster. :)

These days I'm just tired of angry and impatient drivers. If someone gets too close and won't (or can't) go around, I just pull off somewhere when I get the chance and let the cars go by. I would rather let the angry idiots go ahead of me so I can take my time and enjoy the drive.

Life's too short to worry about arriving 5 minutes late.

If it's that big of a deal, leave 10 minutes earlier!

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

A couple of years ago my wife was going through an area known for speed traps and a black SUV came out close on her rear so she sped up. Turned out to be a cop and he ticketed her for speeding. She never told me as she was too embarrassed having gotten a speeding ticket a few years before. Had I known I would have fought it.

With all the current BLM crap coming down on police there are also many of us not pleased with the police because of speed traps, red light cameras etc.

I don't blame the cops but blame the municipalities that push them to help get revenue.

Reply to
Frank

The Yellow Freight Radar Detector:

A JB Hunt driver strapped to the roof with a pair of binoculars.

So maybe you can strap the Missus to the roof?

Or just keep to the speed limit? It's been working for me and I haven't been stopped by the cops for anything in the last 25 years.

The cops in most places use laser anyway, so a radar detector won't do you much good. Laser is much harder to detect, so a fancy detector may not be worth much.

It's your money and you can do what you want, but the cops I'm friends with don't seem to think much about detectors. They say they laugh when they see one in the car or truck they just pulled over for excessive speed.

Reply to
Bud Frede

Per Frank:

I have never experienced that on a single-lane road.

OTOH, if there are two or more lanes, that situation is telling me that I should have been paying more attention to the rear-view mirror and move over to the slower lane sooner.

Were I put on the most miles, the speed limit is 65, but the left lane moves at 75-80+ and the right lane moves at about 71-73.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Muggles:

The road I drive to get down to the shore has a speed limit of 65.

On occasions when I am carrying a 20' surf ski on the roof racks, I actually set the cruise control to 65 and keep it there.

Last time I counted, I passed two vehicles: a clapped-out maxi-van doing about 50 in the left lane, and a cab-over duce-and-a-half that was getting blown around by the crosswinds.

Number of vehicles that passed me: 138..... and none of them slowly.

I think there is actually a safety consideration in going the speed limit on that road in that some people whip around you and then dive back into the lane - coming way too close..... if one of those catches my front bumper/fender, I can see trouble...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 14:32:56 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in

I live in a rural area with a lot of 2 lane (really 1 1/2 lane) roads. If I find myself in an area where passing me would be difficult and there are 2 or more cars stacked behind me, I just slow down and pull over to the right as much as I can and let them pass. They're grateful and I'm glad too.

Reply to
CRNG

The only folks in this country who have a problem "relationship" with the police are lawbreakers and the wannabe thugs who threaten, much less fight with, a cop talking to him or trying to take him into custody.

Then their mamas and the neighborhood-- or national-- agitators raise hell that the the media rushes to cover and presents their side of the story while neglecting the crime(s) they committed that brought them to the cops' attention in the first place and what they did to get their asses shot or injured.

Reply to
Wade Garrett