What do you use for all-purpose rubber gasket material?

A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort.

It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the nearest hardware store.

I used to use old car and truck tire tubes for scrap rubber, but they're hard to come by nowadays I think (at least I haven't *seen* them in a while.

What do *you* use for your scrap rubber gaskets?

Reply to
Danny D.

Ace sells the rubber material but I have used a 12 pack box in a crunch.

Reply to
gfretwell

Amazon has rubber gasket material. They also have tractor inner tubes. What about bicycle inner tubes? Walmart. My dad used to use FormAGasket but I don't remember off hand exactly why. And motorcycles still have tubed tires.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

|A few times a year I need to replace a thin rubber gasket of some sort. | | It's often quicker and easier and cheaper to cut a rubber gasket to fit | than it is to order the parts, especially since I'm 20 miles from the | nearest hardware store. |

Home Depot sells sheet rubber. Probably most hardware stores do, too. I'm not sure what's available, but I remember buying something like a 6"x8" piece awhile back. I also keep a collection of plumbing washers.

Reply to
Mayayana

On 08/06/2016 6:23 PM, Danny D. wrote: ...

That, exactly. Go to a tire shop that deals with large trucks or ag tires instead of passenger cars and they'll probably have a number of old ones in the discard pile they'll give you (altho even trucks have gone to where a lot are now tubeless but I'd expect they'll still be enough to not be too much of a problem altho I've not had to go get a newer one for probably 10 yr since an 18.4-38 tractor tire tube will yield a _lot_ of small patches!!! :)).

Oh, and you might try the Bandaq retreader rather than the new-only shops, too...

Reply to
dpb

Innertubes are still used a lot more than you think. Farmers use them in all sorts of machinery. Go to a REAL tire shop, not Walmart....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Thanks for all the flexible advice, which I followed to the letter.

To that end, I picked up a two-gasket set of 1/16th inch 6x6 "rubber sheet packing" material at Home Depot for around $2.50 a sheet.

Home Depot didn't have anything larger than 6 inches square, so, for the larger sheets, I found a "memo magnet" which was just about the same thickness but which is 8"x11".

In hind sight, since it cost about ten bucks for those three sheets of rubber, a car tire tube would probably have been cheaper and longer lasting, so I'll look around to see if I can find one in stock at the store.

Reply to
Danny D.

On 08/13/2016 11:58 AM, Danny D. wrote: ...

If you look new, you'll probably be shocked... :) As said, go to the truck/ag shops; I'd say odds good you'd be able to get a freebie or at least for a pittance.

For the future, look for industrial gasket-supply houses locally; not all will sell "over the counter" but bound to be one or two that will; the place here (this is _very_ small market, yes, there is only one) will beat those box store specialty-type selections hands down and give you a much wider selection of materials, to boot...

Reply to
dpb

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Now don't blow your gasket.